Wake crasher is brutally beaten in Scarborough ‘street justice’

Nicholas Kitto and Jason Porter were handed sentences at York Crown Court for brutally beating David White, who was an unwelcome guest at a family wake.
Nicholas Kitto and Jason Porter were handed sentences at York Crown Court for brutally beating David White, who was an unwelcome guest at a family wake.

An unwelcome guest at a wake found himself a victim of “street justice” after being chased through Scarborough, cornered and repeatedly punched, kicked and stamped on.

David White, described as a woman beater, heroin addict and thief at York Crown Court on Wednesday, had been told to stay away from both the funeral and the wake, but turned up armed with a knife and knuckleduster weapon on January 13.

Nicholas Kitto, 26, who was attending his grandfather’s funeral, had words with Mr White, said Nick Adlington, prosecuting, leading to the victim being chased from the Shakespeare pub, St Helen’s Square, to the Coney Island Arcade.

Joining in the pursuit and following attack was Jason Porter, 26, the court hearing that, once caught, Mr White was subjected to half-a-dozen punches, four kicks and five stamps to his upper body and head.Kitto was said to have been caught on CCTV delivering 14 punches, three kicks and six stamps.

Amazingly, said Mr Adlington, the victim, who refused to co-operate with police and did not seek medical help, suffered no more than a cut to his nose.

Kitto, of Durham Street, Scarborough, and Porter, of St Leonards Crescent, both appeared for sentencing, having previously admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The court heard Mr White, who himself has 87 previous convictions, is the boyfriend of Kitto’s younger sister and has allegedly assaulted her in the past, causing friction between him and the rest of her family.

Porter is the boyfriend of Kitto’s cousin, although the two defendants had never met before the funeral, but were said to have got on well.

During his police interview Kitto, who has five previous convictions for seven offences, told the police he agreed his actions had been “barbaric”, but added that Mr White had “deserved” what had happened, being the victim of no more than “street justice”.

He added that he had been “so zoned in” by what he was doing himself that he hadn’t noticed that Porter - with 17 previous convictions for 33 offences - was with him.

Anna Wilkinson, for Kitto, told the court that her client had been out of trouble for some years, had the promise of a job in Kent and was now remorseful about what he had done whilst in drink and after being provoked by the actions of Mr White.

For Porter, Andrew Semple said that his client had had 15 per cent of his brain removed following a serious motorcycle accident some years ago and had to rely on his girlfriend for much of his care.

He added that his client, who was also remorseful for what had happened, had become caught up in “unique” circumstances.

Both defendants were sentenced to eight month custody, suspended for 12 months.

Kitto was also placed under supervision for 12 months and ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work.

Porter was ordered to observer a four month nightly curfew - unpaid work being out the question because of his medical condition.