Curtis and Beadle on target as Boro beat Colne

Boro report
Boro report

Scarborough Athletic produced a solid home display on Saturday afternoon to beat Colne 2-0 in the Evo-Stik North.

Goals from Nathan Curtis and sub Jimmy Beadle wrapped up the points and kept Boro in the charge for promotion.

The game crept away to a timid start, with Boro content to play football and Colne looking to strike blows on the counter.

Michael Coulson almost had the first word, dummying his marker out on the left and then drilling just over the Colne bar.

Boro then came within a whisker of breaking their duck. Danny Stimpson and Curtis had shots blocked on the line and then Nathan Valentine looped a header against the bar.

After that incisive burst of action, the highlights were few in the remaining minutes of the half.

Colne possibly had the best opening, but Tommy Taylor made a fine one-handed save to deny Shiraz Khan.

After such a quiet first half, the second exploded into action with just a handful of minutes played.

Boro exerted enough pressure to win a corner and Coulson's delivery was powered home by the head of Curtis.

The game began to open up after this, with Boro taking to take control of the encounter.

Valentine could and should have scored when great play between Ross Daly and Coulson set him in on the keeper, but the midfielder dinked into the keeper's arms.

Then Colne stopper Hakan Burton made an excellent block to deny a charging Dave Merris.

Goalscorer Curtis left the field with injury just after the hour, to be replaced by Beadle, who immediately began to cause a few issues for the Colne back-line.

He was unlucky not to open his own account in the 75th minute as he ghosted onto a Max Wright centre, but lifted it over the bar.

With Boro only clinging onto a one-goal cushion, then continued to look for that all-important second in the latter stages.

Coulson came so close to achieving this when he rose to meet a cross from sub James Cadman, though his header grazed the wrong side of the bar.

Some concerning moments followed, with Colne starting to press for parity. A crescendo of pressure was finally lifted when Matthew Morgan smashed over the bar and the swimming pool from eight yards.

Boro finally wrapped things up in injury-time, with that man Beadle scoring his second in two games.

Wright powered clear of the Colne defence and rolled into the path of Beadle. A covering defender cleared the ball against Beadle's shins and it bounced into the back of the net.

Wright had an opportunity to make it three with seconds remaining, but his shot skimmed post and bar and flew into a jubilant Shed.