SHOP STAFF rushed to the rescue of three dogs which were locked inside a car for more than two hours, despite scorching temperatures.
The dogs, an Alsatian, a German shepherd and a collie cross, were left by their owner inside the parked car in St Thomas Street without any visible signs of water or air, except for a small opening in one of the windows.
It was only the quick thinking of workers in nearby shops that saved the dogs from further suffering, as they raced over to the car with water and blankets to offer shade to the distressed pets.
Deborah Newlove, who works at The Toy Shop, said: “They were barking for what seemed like ages, and they were panting and desperate for air.
“Nobody should treat dogs like that. Windows would be smashed if it was children, so why not dogs?”
Police arrived at 11.15am yesterday after a parking attendant had raised the alarm. They were then joined by the dog warden, as they tried to calm the hysterical dogs as worried passers-by looked on.
Eventually, the owner of the car was quizzed and the trapped dogs were freed.
Police then appeared to question the owner before he drove off with the dogs in the car.
A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said: “Thankfully the dogs were released from the car before they suffered any ill effects without officers having to force entry into the car.
“Obviously smashing a vehicle’s windows is an option that we can use as a last resort when we need to take decisive action if we see dogs left in hot cars.”
Ryan Mancrief, who works at In Stitches, in St Thomas Street, said it should be a warning to people who abandon their pets in cars, as temperatures can rise very quickly inside cars on warm days.
He said: “People need to me more aware of the dangers of leaving a dog trapped.
“If a dog overheats, it can die.”
Scarborough Council’s senior dog warden, Graham Hibberd, said: “It’s important people understand that in hot weather there’s no safe way to leave a dog in a car.
“We would ask that people either leave their dog at home or put it on a lead and take it with them.”
Anyone who sees an animal in distress can contact Scarborough Borough Council’s Dog Warden on 01723 232323.