Douglas departs Scarborough after four years in charge

Lee Douglas
Lee Douglas

Lee Douglas has left Scarborough RUFC after four years as coach at the Silver Royd club.

Douglas guided Scarborough to the Yorkshire Shield final in 2014 and to the National Intermediate Cup semi-final the following season, with the club agonisingly close to a trip to Twickenham but eventually losing 10-6 to Bridgnorth.

The club were widely tipped as promotion contenders this season, but despite a rally late in the campaign they finished fourth in the Yorkshire One standings.

Scarborough RUFC chief executive Graeme Young confirmed Douglas’ departure.

He said: “Following a review of senior rugby by director of rugby Mike Holder and myself, several changes will be made to the coaching and management of senior men at the club.

“One outcome of the review was first-team coach Lee Douglas leaving his post, his last game in charge was against Selby.

“Lee was a great asset to the club during his four years, showing professionalism and dedication to the demanding role of first-team coach.

“His departure is in no way a reflection on his performance. Lee, Mike and myself all agreed that four years is an appropriate length of time for a coach to be in a role and now was the right time for a change.

“I would like to thank Lee for his service and he remains a great friend of the club and will always be welcome at Silver Royd.”

Douglas was quick to thank the club for their support during his tenure.

He said: “My four years coaching at Scarborough RUFC were extremely enjoyable.

“It’s sad that it has come to an end but I’m looking forward to a rest now. It’s a big commitment coaching at a club like Scarborough so I will take some time off and then see what happens.

“At times it was a difficult role, but I was supported superbly by the club and I have to thank them for that.

“It was a bit of a rollercoaster at times. We’d have some players playing superbly and training one week, then they’d not be there the next, but you have to take that as a coach.

“I’ll never forget that Intermediate Cup semi-final. We were so close to Twickenham, but it wasn’t to be in the end.”