Four-midable Boro besiege Vikings

Nathan Valentine celebrates his goal with Dave Merris
Nathan Valentine celebrates his goal with Dave Merris

Scarborough Athletic are making 4-1 victories something of a habit at the moment.

Ten-man Goole were the latest team by be swept aside by the Boro juggernaut, though most of the sweeping was done in the latter stages of the game.

The pressure was on Boro against their lowly rivals, as they were expected the rattle in the goals to please a bustling Flamingo Land Stadium.

Goole had other ideas though and, linked with the heavy mist that had settled over the town, it was never going to be straight forward.

After a fine early drive from Boro's top-scorer Michael Coulson, the hosts retreated into their shell a touch and allowed lowly Goole to take control of the proceedings.

A number of near misses and last-gasp clearances followed as Boro clung on in there under some firm pressure from Karl Roses' lively outfit.

So it was against the run of play when Boro won a corner on the right and Matty Turnbull rose wonderfully to power the ball home.

Billy Logan had the next opportunity as Boro began to turn the screw. The striker spun well in the box, but his low drive was held by Goole stopper Ben Saynor.

The hosts almost gifted their opponents a chance to restore equilibrium, as keeper Tommy Taylor was given a woeful back-pass. He managed to get a toe on the ball, presenting it to Tyler Williams, but Taylor scrambled back to make the save.

Having littered the opening part of the game with a handful of interesting challenges, Goole were punished on 35 minutes by referee Peter Walker. New signing Devonte Morton was adjudged to have used an elbow when competing for the ball and he was given a straight red card.

Boro took immediate advantage of this, with Nathan Valentine remaining unmarked when a ball was delivered into the box and he angled it home with a bullet header.

The expected landslide didn't materialise though and it was Goole who trimmed the advantage back to one just before the interval.

Pietu Crouz collected on the edge of the Boro box and after a trick or two he managed to smash the ball beyond Taylor and into the net.

Valentine was swiftly withdrawn at the beginning of the second half after it looked like Mr Walker would trump his earlier yellow card with a red.

Then Boro turned up the pressure guage with some more incisive attacking.

Goole defender Alex Varley managed to disguise an inventive way of stopping Billy Logan stealing onto a ball in the box, virtually sitting on him. But the ref's positioning was poor and nothing was given.

Then Turnbull won another towering header, but, having beaten the keeper, but ball was launched clear off the line.

Coulson drove against the post, with debut boy Nathan Curtis, arriving as a sub minutes earlier, failing to convert the rebound.

Boro continued to create, but there was always the danger that Goole may break away and snatch an unlikely point.

That was until the job was finally completed in the last few minutes.

Firstly Curtis latched onto a Dave Merris pass and charged clear to round Saynor and poke into the back of the net.

Then Coulson danced around Saynor on two occasions, and, with the chance looking to have vanished, he lifted calmly into the corner of the goal.

The double blow was too much for battling Goole and Boro cruised through the final moments to claim the win and step up to second in the table.