Today marks the first anniversary of Jimmy Savile’s death but there will be no tributes to the star in the town he dubbed his “second home”.
With the number of women, and now boys, coming forward to accuse him of abuse reported to be “staggering,” many have distanced themselves from the showbiz legend and charity fundraiser.
It is a far cry from last year’s outpouring of public grief after his death on October 29. Crowds later gathered on the Esplanade outside Savile’s former home as his cortege passed by.
Cheers and applause rang out across the harbour as the procession travelled along the town’s seafront, where Savile visited.
However his once-rich legacy in Scarborough, which once considered Savile its “adopted son,” now lies in tatters.
Scarborough’s Sir Jimmy Savile Memorial Steering Group scrapped plans to create a £50,000 statue of Savile.
Group member Malcolm Stephenson, who was friends with Jimmy Savile for 47 years, told the Scarborough News he felt “hoodwinked” by the star.
He said: “When I first heard the allegations I was saddened, but that has now changed to a feeling of outrage. The more I look at it, I now feel like I didn’t know him at all,” he said.
On October 4, a plaque outside Savile’s former flat on the Esplanade was removed after the words “rapist” and “paedophile” were daubed on it.
As the scandal continued to deepen, a footpath sign on the Esplanade commemorating the star was taken down by Scarborough Council on October 7. Just three days later Savile’s £4,000 headstone was removed from Woodlands Cemetery in the early hours of Wednesday morning at the request of his family. It was later destroyed and sent for landfill, leaving Savile lying in an unmarked grave. What a year.