Man jailed after mirror attack on sleeping victim in Scarborough

A man who struck a mirror over his sleeping victim's head before punching a woman has been jailed for 13 years.

Friday, 24th August 2018, 4:41 pm
Updated Friday, 24th August 2018, 4:45 pm
Lee Terence Major.

Lee Terence Major, 37, of Scarborough, was also given an indefinite restraining order after being sentenced at York Crown Court today for wounding with intent and assault by beating.

An investigating officer said the lives of his victims "will never be the same again".

Major entered a home at East Mount Flats, Longwestgate, in Scarborough on the evening of Saturday, June 30 this year.

North Yorkshire Police said that "while the 22-year-old victim was asleep in bed, [Major] subjected him to a violent assault, using a mirror to strike the victim’s head.

"Major used extreme physical force, causing serious injury to the man, who required hospitalization.

"During the course of the assault, he also punched a 29-year-old woman who was trying stop Major’s assault."

Following a public appeal, the police force found and arrested Major, of Princess Royal Terrace, Scarborough, on Monday, July 2. He was later charged and remanded into custody.

After an "extensive and detailed" investigation by the Serious Crime Team at Scarborough and Ryedale, Major pleaded guilty to the offences on Monday, July 30.

Investigating Officer DC David Adams today said: “This was a very complex investigation conducted by officers from the Serious Crime Team and the local policing team in Scarborough and Ryedale.

"Thanks to the immediate response from officers and their thorough and professional actions to secure and preserve vital evidence at the scene of the crime, we have been able to secure a lengthy sentence, which reflects the severity of Major’s actions and the injury and trauma he subjected the victims to.”

“I would also like to thank members of the public who assisted the police with this investigation.

"Without their assistance we would not have been able to secure the conviction of Major.

"I'd also like to thank the victims, who suffered due to Major's actions. Their lives will never be the same again and the events of that evening will stay with them forever. I hope the sentence passed today provides some closure and gives them a chance to move on to the future."