COUNCILLORS have raised concerns that any surplus cash raised as a result of a major Eastfield housing development would be “ring-fenced” for the regeneration of the area.
Their concerns were raised at a meeting of Scarborough Council on Monday when they were discussing development and funding agreements for the Middle Deepdale development – which would consist of 1,200 new homes.
Cllr Bill Chatt, who represents the Woodlands ward, said: “My area needs a lot of money. I for one was quite shocked. I’ve spoken to other councillors who feel the same way.”
He added that the council probably would not have a lot of money during the coming years. “We don’t want to start parcelling money up,” he said.
Cllr Tom Fox said that Middle Deepdale was a substantial scheme which would make a substantial difference for Scarborough.
He added: “It will bring people from outside the borough and it’s an opportunity to regenerate the area. It needs added resources to support it.”
Cllr Sam Cross said: “If money is to made available in the future I’d love the money to be made available to Filey.”
But Cllr Brian Simpson, who represents the Eastfield ward, said negotiations over the development had been on-going since 1996 and he did not want to “rip up years of hard work”.
He said: “If this money doesn’t come back to Eastfield there’s no way we will cope with it.”
Cllr Derek Bastiman said: “We had to fight very hard to get the residents on board. It’d be wrong of this council to turn its back on those promises.”
It is understood that an outline planning application for the scheme will be submitted before the end of February and, if accepted, work to build the first of the new homes could begin as early as July.
Middle Deepdale would cover a total area of 92 acres of land and the site has been earmarked for development since 1999. The development would feature a mix of private, social and rented accommodation, a primary school, community facilities and open space.
The report recommended that council land be transferred to developer K2 PLP and the profits from the scheme would be limited to 15 per cent. Councillors voted against the proposal that any surplus cash be added to a general fund for regeneration within the borough but voted to accept the original report.