Murder suspect sacks barrister

The scene on the day of Julie Davison's murder
The scene on the day of Julie Davison's murder
Share this article

A murder suspect has sensationally sacked his barrister half way through his trial.

James Allen, standing trial for the murders of Whitby woman Julie Davison and 
Middlesbrough pensioner 
Colin Dunford, decided on Tuesday that he no longer wanted to be represented by QC John Bromley-Davenport who has 40 years experience working on criminal trials.

The shock move came after Allen stormed out of the dock at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday after a row over how a witness would give her evidence.

It came as a statement from a SportsDirect worker in Scarborough, where Allen is alleged to have bought new clothes, was being read out in Monday afternoon’s session.

Allen interrupted the proceedings and Judge Justice Openshaw had to ask the defendant to be quiet.

From behind the protective glass screen Allen shouted: “I can’t be quiet. Don’t talk to me, it is my trial, it is my life on the line. I will speak when I want to speak.”

He walked from the dock and Mr Bromley-Davenport attempted to excuse his client but Judge Openshaw said: “I run this trial, not the defendant.”

The trial carried on in the absence of Allen, 36, of Middlesbrough.

It had already heard the extent of the injuries inflicted on the two victims from a Home 
Office pathologist, Dr Peter 
Nigel Cooper.

Julie Davison, 50, of Church Square had her throat cut, 30 other stab wounds to her head and neck and 50 separate cuts and bruises, inflicted by kicking and stamping.

81-year-old Colin Dunford had 15 external head and neck injuries and internal bruising which covered all his face.

His cause of death was given as “blunt” head and facial injuries.

The court also heard evidence from Ken Alderson who owns the Cash Generators store in Scarborough where Allen had already sold a nine carat gold ring for £20.

He went to the store again on Wednesday April 25, the same day Ms Davison’s body was 
discovered, and tried to sell a gold oblong-shaped St 
Christopher pendant and a chain.

The trial continues.