Dominating the area for many years was All Saints’ Church on Falsgrave Road.
The foundation stone for the church was laid on 26 October 1867 and less than a year later on 2 October 1868 the archbishop of York consecrated Flasgrave’s new Anglican church.
Just over a century later, in the summer of 1975 the church was completely demolished.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.
Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-160321-090657050.