A view over Tan Beck, Ravenscar looking towards Robin Hood’s Bay.
In the centre background are the ruins of the old alum works.
The cliffs of North Yorkshire were the main source of alum in Britain which was used to dye wool and cloth.
The works at Ravenscar were operation for about 250 years until its closure in 1862.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.
Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-160719-115749050.