Vandals smash up Scarborough seafront toilets with a hammer, a week after they were installed

Vandals have smashed a temporary toilet block with a hammer just a week after they were placed on Scarborough’s seafront.

Monday, 2nd November 2020, 5:30 pm
Updated Monday, 2nd November 2020, 5:38 pm

Following a delay caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the toilets had finally been opened in Royal Albert Drive for visitors to use.

Today, Cllr Tony Randerson, Scarborough Council’s portfolio holder for Neighbourhoods, said that he was “disgusted” to have been informed that they had now been damaged.

He told a meeting of the authority: “Unfortunately, it has been brought to my attention this morning that they have been vandalised.

Royal Albert Drive. Photo: Google

“Some lovely people, I’ll call them what I think they are, they are scrotes. They are absolute scrotes who have gone in there, into three cubicles with a hammer and brayed hell out of them.

A matter of days after they opened.

“I am absolutely disgusted”.

Cllr David Jeffels added that it was “disgraceful” that the vandalism had taken place.

Scarborough Council has been approached for a comment on the status of the toilets following the vandalism.

Our video with this story shows vandalism at North Bay Railway's water chute earlier this year.