Defibrillator installed at Oliver's Mount to remember former Scarborough resident and keen golfer Chris Hill
The tragic death of a man remembered by those who knew him as “one of life’s good guys” has led to a defibrillator being installed at Oliver’s Mount.
The life-saving unit fitted outside the motorbike office is in memory of former Scarborough resident Chris Hill, who died of sudden cardiac arrest in January 2018 at the age of 57.
One of five children, Chris lived on Coldyhill Lane and Bleinheim Terrace – his parents Barbara and Fred owned The Wharncliffe Hotel – before moving to London for university.
Despite settling down in Amersham where he lived with his wife Melanie and daughters Rebecca, Emily and Izzy, Chris would come back to his hometown regularly to catch up with family and friends and fellow golfers at North Cliff Golf Club, some of whom raised funds to purchase the unit.
His sister Debbie Mutton said Chris was “a really good dad and a really good brother, just one of life’s good guys”.
His death was caused by an undetected genetic heart condition, prevalent in young and apparently healthy people, he and his family were not aware of.
“It’s amazing how prevalent it is, your heart stops beating and it could be you, the person next to you, you just don’t know and it’s frightening,” said Debbie.
While a defibrillator might not have been enough to save him, it would have given him another chance.
Anne Jolly MBE, founder of SADS UK, said: “SADS UK is pleased to support family and friends, who have been dedicated to raising funds for research into sudden cardiac death and also funding lifesaving defibrillators in their community to save lives in memory of Chris Hill.
“Oliver’s Mount is a good place to install a defibrillator as it is a popular area with so many activities taking place there. Using CPR alone provides a five per cent chance of survival but using the defibrillator as well increases the chance of survival to over 50 per cent. This is why SADS UK and its members are so passionate about putting this lifesaving equipment in place.”