SCARBOROUGH Council’s Cabinet will be cut by one member, it has been revealed.
Council leader Cllr Tom Fox will outline the plan to his fellow councillors at a Town Hall meeting on Monday.
Speaking to the Evening News, he agreed that the move would save money, in the face of Government cuts, but that was not the main motivation – it would also streamline the various roles within the Cabinet, placing the council in a better position to deal with demands from Central Government.
In his annual statement, which was published this week, he said this had been the first year of the new administrative arrangements where the leader has had the authority to delegate to individual Cabinet members the power to take actions or decisions within the allocated portfolios.
He added: “During the year the portfolio responsibilities have continued to be revisited and small amendment made to minimise duplication and overlap.”
Cllr Fox said that pressure from increased demands from the Government, as well as a lack of clarity under localism and the many changes to funding, made the future uncertain.
He said: “Planning for change, seizing the initiative and taking opportunity in helping make the council fitter for the challenges ahead I have taken the view that Cabinet needs to remain resilient to the demands of the short and medium term future.
“On this basis, I have decided to reduce Cabinet by just one member and reflect the priorities of that post through delegation of certain decisions and work into the portfolios of other members of the Cabinet. I believe this approach will continue to best support our aims.”
Cllr Eric Broadbent, the leader of the Labour Group, welcomed the news – the group had recently proposed that the Cabinet be cut by three members as part of a number of alternative money-saving budget proposals.
He said: “We do feel with certain cutbacks, especially in staff and services, the council should reflect those cutbacks. We do feel the cabinet is too large.”