People living in and commuting via Scalby Road are dreading Monday when they feel roadworks are going to make their lives hell.
For the next six weeks temporary traffic lights have been placed at the junction of Lady Edith’s Drive, with traffic currently restricted to one lane.
Motorists have already reported lengthy delays and believe the situation will only be made worse when schools and colleges go back on Monday.
The work is to put a Toucan-style crossing across Scalby Road to allow people to safely walk over the road in front of Yorkshire Coast College.
Consultation on the works was carried out in 2011 and would cost £93,000, according to North Yorkshire County Council documents produced at that time.
Tracey Carter, who lives in Scalby Road, told The Scarborough News that people living in the area had been given no advance warning of the works.
She said: “We saw a sign going up in the road saying work would start on Monday but it gave no details as to why.
“I never received a letter saying what would be happening and other people have told me the same.
“It’s going to be terrible when half-term finishes, the road is congested as it is without being reduced to one lane.
“For the duration of the scheme it is going to cause traffic mayhem. And one has to ask – is the scheme absolutely essential?”
The Scarborough News contacted North Yorkshire Highways Agency to try to get more information about the works and why neighbours were not contacted, but no response was forthcoming.
Meanwhile it has also been announced that work to resurface a stretch of the A64 between Staxton and Eastfield will begin next month.
Work will start on November 21 and should be completed by Friday December 19.
Integrated Highway Services said that full closures of the A64 will be required between Staxton roundabout and Seamer Roundabout. The closures will start on 8pm Friday and reopen 6am on Monday covering the weekends of November 21 to 24, November 28 to December 1 and December 5 and 8.
Karen Gaunt, the company’s customer and community relations manager said: “Every effort has been made to ensure disruption to traffic and residents is kept to a minimum, but there will inevitably be some and disruption generated by these works, and that we apologise in advance.” Further details would be provided closer to the works starting.