PLANS for the rest of the Sands development should be submitted to Scarborough Council by September 8.
Council leader, Cllr Tom Fox, gave his fellow councillors the news during a statement yesterday.
He said that the new developers had been given a temporary three-month extension of the development agreement – which now expires in September – subject to them providing the required information for what they had planned for the site.
He added: “I am pleased to report that certain progress has been made. There will be a detailed planning application for the whole development.
“The intention to submit the planning application for the whole development is to be welcomed.”
He said that a preferred construction company for the project had been identified by the developer. He said: “Plans for the water park have been provided and will be included in the planning application for the scheme.”
Cllr Fox said that a “completion statement” had been received for phase one of the scheme and a 10 per cent has also been paid by the developer to “show commitment to the scheme”.
Work on the water park, which has been on the agenda as part of the Sands development since it was first proposed in 2002, could begin next June – with a completion date of November 2013.
It is understood that the application for the rest of the site which would include a new water park development.
Roland Duce took over the multi-million pound North Bay project in June 2010 after he bought out original developers Benchmark Leisure.
In March the property developer gave a presentation of his recently unveiled masterplan for the North Bay site to councillors and they voted unanimously to extend its existing development agreement.
The original agreement was due to ex-pire last month and Scarborough Council held a special meeting to decide the next step.
The waterpark phase includes plans for a waterpark, a public house and more than 300 car parking spaces on the former Burniston Barracks site, as well as 35 timber holiday lodges in parkland on the former Kinderland site.
The park itself is set to feature:
l An indoor wave pool
l Children’s pool
l Tornado water slide
l Outdoor family pool
l Lazy river
l Pool and spa.
The first phase of the Sands, including waterfront apartments and the Open Air Theatre, was completed by developers Benchmark.
Benchmark originally became involved in the redevelopment of the North Bay in 2001 and the scheme became known as “The Sands” project in 2004.
However the scheme ran into trouble as the global economic downturn began to take hold and in 2008 plans to build 40 holiday homes and a small hotel on the former Kinderland site came to a halt.
Last month members of the Cabinet approved freehold sale of phase 1A of the Sands – Kepwick House and Lockton House – to make sure that the council recovered the funding for the full cost of building the Open Air Theatre.