SATURDAY LEAGUE: Pier edge out Seamer to maintain title charge

West Pier beat Seamer Sports 2-0 to keep their Division One ambitions alive.

Saturday, 14th April 2018, 7:01 pm
Updated Saturday, 14th April 2018, 7:11 pm
Saturday League reports

Seamer came into the clash buoyed by their 5-4 win against leaders Edgehill midweek, but found themselves behind after 10 minutes.

The lively Jamie Bradshaw was brought down in the box and despite Martin Cooper's pen being saved, Sam Garnett was first on hand to tap in the rebound to hand Pier the lead.

Danny Price, who was booked for dissent after the penalty was awarded, was then sent off after 35 minutes after he was shown a second yellow for a foul.

Despite their numerical advantage and the second-half introduction of striker Billy Logan, Pier had to wait until the last minute to double their lead and seal the win.

Cooper's ball into the box was nodded in by Pickering Town striker Logan to seal the three points for Andy Spivey's side.

James Wardle was Pier's star man.

Pier host Edgehill next Saturday in a huge clash.

Goal Sports were denied by a last-gasp equaliser as they drew 2-2 with Hunmanby United.

Mark Plumpton's side led after their man of the match Dan Pickard scored on the hour-mark, but United restored parity 10 minutes later when Chris Mann headed in after Goal Sports keeper Marc Wain had kept a free-kick out.

The hosts thought they'd done enough to seal the win when they went 2-1 up after 80 minutes, Demspey Stubbings finding the back of the net after Harry Denness pulled the ball back to him.

It wasn't to be for the hosts though as referee Jimmy Sutherland awarded Hunmanby a penalty after Ben Briggs went down in the box.

Although Wain saved Daz Crawford's penalty, Briggs followed up to fire in and seal a point for his side.

Flamborough sealed a shock 4-3 win against Newlands.

The hosts led 1-0, but Luke Delve levelled for Joe Hakings' side.

Flamborough took control of the contest and raced into a 3-1 lead, but Delve's free-kick halved Park's deficit.

The hosts weren't to be denied though and scored again to make it 4-2, and despite Newlands' man of the match Ben Luntley scoring to give his side hope, Flamborough held on for the three points.

Goldsborough and Cayton alleviated their fixture backlog by playing back-to-back games in Division Two.

Hosts Goldsborough won the first game 3-0.

Cayton battled back in the second game to take a 3-1 win, despite switching their entire team's positions about.

Man of the match Damon Cook hit their first with a 25-yard free-kick before goals from Adam Robertshaw and Dan Louth.

United grabbed a consolation.

Scalby edged closer to promotion with an 8-2 derby win against FC Rosette.

Craig Rackham led the charge for the Otters with a hat-trick, while Ashley Townley and skipper Rob Speight hit two apiece.

Mark Oldroyd grabbed the other goal for the victors, whose star men were James Blenkinsopp and Max Tadman.

Fishburn Park Reserves stunned promotion-chasing Snainton, taking the three points after a 5-1 win.

The goals for the victors came courtesy of a Marc Usher double and goals from Paul Jobling, Dan Brown and Andrew Young.

Andrew Kelly was the man of the match for the victors, who were also reduced to 10 men after Dan Smith was sent off after receiving two yellow cards.

An incredible 17 goals were scored in the only game in the Reserve League, Edgehill 3rds beating Ayton Reserves 10-7.

The Outhart twins led the charge for Martin Cappleman's side, Shaun smashing a hat-trick and Lee firing in a brace for the victors.

Edgehill's other goals came from Lee Dennis, Lee Cappleman, Ben David, Gary Hepples and Tony Pickles.

Nicko Dunn was unlucky to be on the losing side after firing in four goals for Steven Frederiksen's side, while Chris Milburn also hit a hat-trick.

Dunn was Ayton's man of the match.