As the terrible events of the Boston Marathon unfold members of Scarborough Athletic Club have sent messages of sympathy to those affected by the bombing.
The club, which usually has runners competing in the popular marathon, says it is thankful none of its members were taking part in this year’s event.
Members have been posting messages of sympathy and support on the club’s Facebook page, and say there is a strong determination that the tragedy will not affect participation in this weekend’s London Marathon.
Club spokesman Mick Thompson said: “Having previously competed in the Boston Marathon myself, I can emphasise with all those affected. The World’s oldest marathon is one of the world’s great marathons, and unlike the London Marathon, the finish area is open to all spectators, which added to tragedy.
“No Scarborough AC club members took part, and there were no British casualties. Without knowing who might have been responsible, it is impossible to comment further, but hope that the undoubted resilience of America and the Britain to such acts, will not greatly deter or interfere with the staging of races, and indeed any sporting event.”
The terror attack on Monday left three dead, and at least 173 people injured with 17 in a critical condition and many amputations.