School put on alert IN flat BLAZE

PUPILS at a Scarborough school were kept inside as smoke billowed from a nearby flat fire.

The fire broke out yesterday morning in a top-floor flat at Kealia Court, the former Rowntrees building in Wooler Street.

Emergency services received 18 calls reporting the incident, near Gladstone Road Junior School.

Headteacher Brian Robinson said: “We were advised to keep the children indoors at break time, but otherwise school has carried on as normal.”

Residents looked on as fire crews tackled the blaze, which destroyed the living room and caused 80 per cent damage to the flat. There was no one in at the time and all other residents in the 24-flat block got out safely after the alarm was raised at 10.50am.

Charlene Walton, 20, who lives on the second floor, said: “The fire alarm has gone off before, but it’s always been a false alarm.

“I’m just glad that everyone got out because it looks really bad.”

Residents on Candler Street, to the rear of the block, also came out of their homes to find out what was happening.

One woman said: “I saw the smoke and just thought of my neighbours.”

Three fire engines and the aerial ladder platform attended the incident along with two ambulance crews, but there were no casualties.

Fire crews from Scarborough and Filey used breathing apparatus while tackling the blaze and cleared large amounts of smoke from the flat using a ventilation fan.

The fire was out by 11.30am and they stayed at the scene “damping down” for nearly an hour afterwards.

Crews revisited the scene to make further checks at 4.30pm.

The building is part of York Housing Association, which provides a range of social housing across the region.