THE 150th anniversary of one of Scarborough’s most famous shipwrecks will be commemorated today at a special ceremony.
Five volunteers died during the rescue attempt of the Coupland on November 2 1861 – including Lord Charles Beauclerk, who was swept to his death in the icy waters after he leapt into the north sea in a desperate attempt to save the crew of Scarborough’s first RNLI lifeboat, Amelia.
Last night his great grandson, John Beauclerk, laid a wreath in memory of all five men in remembrance of the anniversary.
Lord Beauclerk did not receive a hero’s burial at the family mausoleum of the Dukes of St Albans at Redbourne, Lincs, where he was born in 1813.
Instead he was buried in Scarborough’s Dean Road Cemetery by his elder brother, Lord Frederick Beauclerk, who intended to return to make more permanent arrangements but died before he could carry out the task.
Today, he will be further honoured by his descendants when his decaying pauper’s grave is replaced with a new headstone in recognition of his bravery.