Super sub Cadman fires Boro through

Michael Coulson celebrates the fourth goal'Picture by Franziska Empl
Michael Coulson celebrates the fourth goal'Picture by Franziska Empl

A magnificent late charge from Scarborough Athletic guided them through to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup on Tuesday night at Stratford Town.

With the game all set for the dreaded penalty shoot-out, Boro threw on the livewire James Cadman, who provided the finishing touches to a fine cup tie.

Boro show their joy after scoring 'Picture by Franziska Empl

Boro show their joy after scoring 'Picture by Franziska Empl

Cadman's double dragged Boro clear of Stratford with just minutes of extra-time remaining. The midfielder then created a final goal for top scorer Michael Coulson, who rounded things off at 4-1.

There had been a few concerns for Boro, who were again without Billy Logan and Matty Turnbull, while skipper Dave Merris also missed out after Saturday's clash of heads.

The preparation plans were hurt further by a crash in front of the coach on the long journey south, which resulted in a late arrival and a delayed kick-off.

Boro struggled to get out of first gear in the opening half, as Stratford pressed well and controlled much of the possession.

Much of Stratford's threat came from the pace of Jazz Luckie and the glorious set-pieces of Will Grocott.

Luckie scampered in behind in the 10th minute, but with keeper Tommy Taylor in no man's land, he blew the chance by cutting the ball back to nobody.

Meanwhile, Leon Osborne, starting in attack after bagging the late leveller on Saturday, had a few useful chances to move the visitors ahead.

His header went very close with Stratford keeper Louis Connor beaten, then the home custodian produced a fine block to keep out an Osborne drive.

After something of a lull in the action, things suddenly burst into life.

Grocott's wonderful delivery from the right beat everyone apart from Luckie, and the striker poked Stratford ahead from all of a yard.

With play swinging to the other penalty box, Osborne almost took advantage of an Andy Gallinagh error soon, nipping onto his weak back-pass. But Connor again darted from his goal to deny the Boro attacker.

Stand-in skipper Sam Hewitt produced then a magnificent saving challenge. Clearing the ball off Luckie's toe when he looked destined to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

Boro looked to have restored parity right on the stroke of time when Nathan Valentine's shot out of nothing looped over the head of Conner, but it sailed inches over the angle of post and bar and to safety.

After all that excitement, the new period trudged away to a slow resumption.

Osborne almost stole his way onto a mix-up between Gallinagh and Connor, but the pair recovered in time to clear.

With Boro looking to push on, they began to shake a touch at the back, a trait that Stratford almost took advantage of.

Luckie was again denied by a Hewitt challenge after the ball had been presented to the hosts in a dangerous area.

Then Taylor made an amazing point-blank save from Stephens when more pedestrian defending let in the home side.

Taylor was beaten minutes later when Liam Francis powered a header past his outstretched palm, but the ball arrowed past the post.

Osborne continued to threaten for Boro, wriggling free of the Stratford back-line, but once again Connor beat him to the ball.

It would take something spectacular to finally break through the home rearguard and that was what Craig Nelthorpe produced with 15 minutes left on the clock.

With Boro having won a free-kick 30 yards from goal, Nelthorpe bent it superbly into the top corner to bring Steve Kittrick's men on terms.

It was all Boro in the final stages of the 90 minutes, with Osborne again being denied by Connor and Coulson whipping a left-footed effort just wide of the target.

Boro a major scare at the beginning of extra-time, firstly with Hewitt somehow blocking a blasting, six-yard drive from sub Mike Taylor.

Wright and Coulson then went close before before the game was halted due to an injury to referee Josh Smith.

When a suitable replacement was found, Boro managed to survive another great chance. Taylor marauding through on the Boro goal, but horribly missing his kick when all he had to do was make contact.

Cadman made his entry with 10 minutes of the extra periods left, and before long he had wrapped things up.

Just seconds after his arrival he collected on the edge of the box and picked out the top corner with a superb finish.

Then, after some excellent build-up, Cadman managed a carbon copy to put the game out of Stratford's reach.

There was still time for Cadman and Emile Sinclair to feed Coulson, who dinked delightfully home, making it 4-1 and sealing Boro's path through to the next round.