Take the plunge

editorial image

fundraisers are being encouraged to take part in the traditional Scarborough Lions’ New Year’s Day Dip.

The popular event will again be taking place on January 1 in South Bay near the Lifeboat House.

Participants can register on the day from 11.30am in the Scarborough Rowing Club bar area in Foreshore Road.

All dippers, many of whom choose to wear fancy dress, must then assemble on the beach at 12.30pm.

Scarborough’s mayor, Cllr John Blackburn, will then judge the fancy dress and dippers will set off straight afterwards.

Organiser Alan Deacon said: “We ask everyone – spectators and dippers – to be on the beach by 12.30pm. If people get there at 12.45pm they could miss it.

“People tend to head off to the sea as soon as the judging is finished.”

Participants can raise money for a charity of their choice, which will receive 75 per cent of the money, with the other 25 per cent going to the Lions’ charities.

Sponsor forms are available from the Evening News in Aberdeen Walk, the seafront Tourist Information office, the Crown Tavern in Falsgrave and by emailing aldeacon2004@yahoo.co.uk

Mr Deacon said: “We’ve got about 50 or 60 people so far, which is very good. There are groups, individuals and a lot of regulars – we even have someone who comes down from Newcastle every year.

“There are always lots of new faces too and we’re very grateful to everyone for their support.”

He explained that the sponsor money that goes to the Lions will be used locally, for good causes such as taking groups out by minibus and supporting charities such as Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

On a wider scale the Lions also help national and international causes, such as the Haiti disaster, However, groups tend to focus on the needs of their local community first.

Mr Deacon said: “We hope lots of people will come and enjoy the event, either as a dipper or a spectator.

“It’s fast and furious on the day and we’re all looking forward to it.”

He also thanked the people of Scarborough for their support with the Giving Tree in the Brunswick Centre, where people donated gifts.

Mr Deacon said the response had been “phenomenal” and that gifts had been given out to people of all ages.

He also thanked the public for their generosity in supporting the Lions’ sleigh.