Tragedy of rail track death man

Willerby Carr Lane rail crossing.'110507c
Willerby Carr Lane rail crossing.'110507c

A 21-YEAR-OLD Scarborough man took his own life by standing in the path of a train travelling at 70 miles-per-hour, an inquest ruled yesterday.

James Bean, of Crown Terrace, had become depressed because he could not find work as a mechanic and was worried about an upcoming court appearance for a motoring offence.

The inquest heard that he stood still with his back to the train with his head bowed and his arms outstretched in a “crucifix position” in the seconds before the fatal collision.

The driver of the Transpennine Express train, David Batty, applied the brakes, but was unable to avoid hitting Mr Bean. He died on the train track between Willerby and Ganton on January 30, at around 6pm.

Mr Batty witnessed his horrific injuries and contacted emergency services after the incident.

He said in a statement: “I believe the man was intent on killing himself. Since the incident I have not been back at work. I start reliving the incident as soon as I think about it.”

The inquest, held at Scarborough Rugby Club, also heard evidence from James’s father.

Colin Bean, of Meadow Drive, East Ayton, said he was aware that his son had been “down” in the months prior to his death.

However he had not believed he was contemplating suicide.

He said: “I had not seen him for maybe a fortnight but we’d had a telephone conversation.

“He had been very down. He was fed up with the way things were going. He was trying hard to get a job.

“He was also in trouble with the police but it was nothing serious. He was getting banned for speeding.

“He had credit card bills but he wasn’t too bothered about them. He never threatened to end it all.”

Danny Lawrence, James’s best friend, told the inquest that he had last been in his company just an hour before his death.

Describing their friendship, Mr Lawrence said: “I saw him every day. We would meet up at the beach and I lived with him for six months at Trafalgar Square.”

He said that his friend had said to him “I’m sick of this, I want to die” around three months before he committed suicide, but Mr Lawrence put it down to the effects of alcohol.

“He was sick of things going wrong,” Mr Lawrence added.

“He had been down for quite a while. He had no money and finding a job was hard.

“Some days he was more down than others. The last time I saw him was at his flat. He didn’t seem different to any other day.”

The coroner, Michael Oakley, said he was convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Mr Bean had intended to take his own life.

“It would appear that on the day in question he has sadly snapped,” Mr Oakley said. “Sometimes there is no explanation for these actions.

“It was clear he had been down for a period of time and had expressed this to a friend.”