TODAY’S planned 24-hour strike by staff on First TransPennine Express (FTPE) trains has been called off.
The second day of strike action was due to start at 00:01 BST today, and was set to cause huge disruption to passengers over the bank holiday weekend.
However, bosses from the RMT and ASLEF unions called off the strike at the last minute in order to hold fresh talks.
The strike has impacted the whole of Northern England, however Scarborough was hit particularly hard, due to FTPE being the only network, bar Northern Rail, to operate a service in the town.
It meant passengers heading out of the town were forced to make alternative travel arrangements on Wednesday, when the first day of action occurred.
Hourly buses were put on to take passengers to York, and commuters were forced to find another way to get to nearby towns for work.
The strike was originally voted for after the unions rejected a sub inflation pay rise of 2.2 per cent.
FTPE said no agreement had been made on the pay settlement but industrial action had been suspended to allow for “meaningful discussions to continue”.
Nick Whitehead, of Aslef, said: “It’s good news. We’ve agreed the offer made is not a final one and we’ll have talks tomorrow and start with a fresh page.”
FTPE managing director Vernon Barker said: “This is good news for our customers travelling to and from work or for events across our network ahead of the bank holiday weekend.
“I want to apologise to customers that may have been inconvenienced earlier in the week.”