Scarborough's national Armed Forces Day postponed for second time
The national Armed Forces Day celebration that was due to be held in Scarborough in June has been postponed for a second time.
Scarborough Council today announced that the event, earmarked for Saturday June 26 just five days after the scheduled end of coronavirus restrictions had been pushed back.
The town had been set to host the national ceremony, which attracts more than 200,000 people and figures including the Prime Minister, last year but that was also moved due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Red Arrows were lined-up to make an appearance on the coast as part of the festivities.
Cllr Tony Randerson, the portfolio holder for Neighbourhoods, told a meeting of the authority today that there was still too much uncertainty about the end of restrictions to allow for the necessary planning that was need for the national event to take place.
He read out a letter from Secretary of State for Defence Ben Wallace confirming the postponement.
Quoting from Mr Wallace’s letter, Cllr Randerson said: “The Ministry of Defence is grateful for the considerable time, energy, and financial resources invested in preparing for this year’s event by Scarborough Borough Council and its partners and is naturally sympathetic to the circumstances in which you and all local authorities find yourself in in these most challenging of times.
“The national event is a proud demonstration of this country’s appreciation of its armed forces who, like so many times in the past, have once again answered the call to step forward in our hour of need and I am delighted that you remain committed to this cause.
“I am therefore content to accept your offer to host the Armed Forces national event in 2022.”
A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence confirmed to the Local Democracy Reporting Service that the national event had been postponed until Saturday June 25 2022.