Under-13s seal cup final delight at Queensgate

Scarborough Athletic Under-13s lifted the HDYFL U13 Plate trophy at Queensgate on Sunday after beating first division side Burlington Jackdaws.

Thursday, 26th April 2018, 1:36 pm
Updated Thursday, 26th April 2018, 1:41 pm
Boro Under-13s celebrate

Athletic started the stronger and it wasn’t long before the first goal arrived through Cameron MacDonald after a sublime pass by midfielder Kene Knowles over the Jackdaws defence.

Striker MacDonald ran onto the pass and calmly slotted past the Jackdaws keeper to make it 1-0.

Minutes later the same players combined for MacDonald to execute a perfect volley past the keeper to double Athletic’s lead.

The Jackdaws gradually grew into the game but after some good build-up play Athletic pinched the ball and counter attacked swiftly, with Knowles this time finding Caleb Sheader to score a wonderful lob over the keeper from 20 yards out for a third goal of the afternoon.

MacDonald again got on the scoresheet for his hat-trick when Knowles played a defence splitting pass, the onrushing Burlington keeper spilled the ball and MacDonald nipped in to force the ball home.

Jackdaws put on some pressure towards the end of the first half and scored their first goal of the game after a Athletic defensive mix-up to make it 4-1 at the break.

The second half was much more even with Jackdaws awarded a penalty for a foul in the box and it was confidently put away to make the scoreline 4-2.

But then Athletic took control again to add a fifth goal, with Knowles once again finding the right pass, this time Tyson Greening receiving the ball on the edge of the area to power into the back of the net.

Greening added his second in the same way before man of the match MacDonald added a fourth to make the final score 7-2 to the Boro juniors.

Having already secured promotion and the title, Scarborough Athletic Under-12s were looking to finish the league campaign with 20 wins from 20 games, but they had to settle for going undefeated in the league as Driffield Warriors held them to a 0-0 draw.

It was a tight contest between two sides that worked hard and both sides created chances, although Scarborough will probably feel they had the better opportunities to take the three points.

However, it wasn’t to be as the Driffield goalkeeper made a number of smart saves to deny the visitors.

The attention now turns to this Sunday’s League Cup final against first division outfit Pelican Rangers at Haworth Park in Hull, where Scarborough will be looking to complete the double.

Scarborough Athletic Under-16s have climbed up to second in the HDYFL table after back to back league wins.

On Thursday night they entertained Hull United at The Flamingo Land Stadium and came out 2-1 winners.

Jaydan Hindle giving the home team the lead midway through the first half with a neat finish before George Walmsley added a second, finishing off a swift counter-attack.

Despite United pulling a goal back with the last kick of the first half and piling pressure on the home goal in the second half Boro came out victors with the three points.

On Sunday Boro visited Sproatley Juniors and fell behind early on. Hindle equalised on 20 minutes latching on to a long ball that caused chaos in the home defence.

A minute later Boro were 2-1 in front when a smart interchange between Kane Randerson Wray and Tom Wright led to Randerson-Wray cutting in from the left and firing an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner from just outside the box.

A third goal in as many minutes saw Sproatley level when a free kick wasn’t cleared by the Boro defence and the striker finished from close range.

Boro came close to taking the lead before the break through a Lewis McGrath header and a Randerson-Wray thunderbolt which grazed the crossbar but the scores remained level heading into the second half.

The young Boro team put together a cracking half of football from the moment Liam Prescott gave them a 3-2 lead after a game of head tennis in the home teams six yard box three minutes after the break.

Shortly afterwards it was 4-2 to Boro when Harry Coldbeck reacted quickest to a ball into the box and finished smartly from close in.

Boro were well on top now and when Hindle, having his best game of the season forced the keeper into a cracking save Wright was on hand to tap in from close range for Boro’s fifth.

Dan Simpson completed the scoring at 6-2 to Boro firing in a long-range free-kick off the foot of the post.

Scarborough Athletic Under-15s lost 6-0 against Springhead Spartans.

Man of the match for Boro was Max Wright.

Scarborough Athletic Under-14s lost 10-0 to Westella and Willerby on Sunday, but bounced back on Tuesday night with a battling 1-1 draw against Hessle Sporting Barracudas at Hunmanby.

Scarborough Athletic Under-14s AFC won 7-3 over Pelican Rangers.

A first-half double from Owen Mansell and goals from Josh Mann and Owen Lambert handed Boro a 4-0 lead before Pelican hit two for 4-2.

Ethan Smith made it 5-2 before the break before Mansell wrapped up his hat-trick and Lambert hit his second in the second half to seal a 7-3 success for coach Rory Skelton’s side.