Boro under-12s move into County quarters

Boro news
Boro news

Scarborough Athletic under-12s progressed to the last eight of the North Riding Junior Cup with a 4-2 win over Middlesbrough outfit Cleveland Juniors.

Boro had the massive advantage of a home draw, but playing on a heavy surface, they fell behind to an early goal.

It is not the first occasion this season that the under-12s have needed the shock of going behind to perform well and they again rose to the challenge, quickly equalising through Joe Chapman.

Further goals from Joel Daniels and a great strike from Ethan Daley-Smith saw Scarborough take command of the game.

Midway through the second half, Boro scored their fourth with a superb team goal, which followed some excellent passing football, Daley-Smith the player on hand to finish off the move.

Boro took their foot off the gas slightly and allowed the opposition to get back into the game when they scored their second and there followed a nervous final 10 minutes to the final whistle.

It was an all round team effort from Scarborough, who also learned this week that their Hull Boys Sunday League Cup semi -final will be at home to first division North Ferriby on the January 17.

Scarborough Athletic under-14s entertained Driffield at Bramcote in their Hull Boys Sunday Football League fixture and shared the spoils from a six-goal thriller.

Athletic again started well and took the lead on four minutes when captain Brad Smith drilled a long-range free-kick that deceived the keeper and flew into the bottom corner.

Athletic were enjoying a lot of possession in the Driffield half with Dan Simpson a constant threat down the right flank, but it was Driffield who scored next with a curled effort into the top corner that gave keeper Cameron Anderson no chance.

This visibly lifted the away team, who were now looking dangerous in the attacking third and they created another chance shortly after wards but Harry Coldbeck did well to clear before the Driffield striker could get his shot off.

Athletic were also creating chances of their own and a Zamesse Deans free-kick shaved the crossbar.

Athletic took the lead three minutes before the break from another free-kick with Smith topping his previous effort, this time curling a 25-yard effort into the top corner.

Early in the second half Athletic were caught by a through ball that the Driffield striker finished neatly to make it 2-2.

The second half was now end-to-end with both sides creating chances to bag the three points.

The unlucky Deans struck the foot of the post with a long-range speculative effort.

Athletic grabbed the lead back when George Walmsley cut inside and fired powerfully inside the far post for 3-2, to continue his fine run of form in front of goal.

Deans was then Athletic’s saviour at the opposite end when acrobatically heading clear a goalbound effort.

Shortly afterwards Anderson dived bravely at the foot of a Driffield striker during a goalmouth scramble.

The key moment in the game came with five minutes to go when a bullet header from Walmsley arrowing into the corner was brilliantly saved by the Driffield keeper.

George Bramham narrowly failed to get on the rebound before the ball was scrambled clear.

In the last minute Driffield equalised when their centre-half rose with a free header that went in off the post.

This made it 3-3 at the death, a result that was particularly harsh on Athletic skipper Smith, who must have covered every blade of grass to try and get his team over the line, a great captain’s performance.