Dawson powers Filey to Hunter success

Josh Dawson smashed a 22-ball, unbeaten 59 to overwhelm Ganton’s under-par total of just 76 in a extremely one-sided Hunter Cup Final at North Marine Road.

Monday, 3rd August 2015, 11:08 pm
Filey's boundary hitting batsman Josh Dawson 152059d

In a game of fourteen eight-ball overs, Ganton batted first on the same pitch that saw 270 runs scored in Friday’s Hospital Cup final.

Richard Bannister and Ed Cooper faced up to opening bowler Nathan Robson, but after six deliveries, Bannister was bowled with the ball smashing into the middle stump.

A maiden from Ben Briggs, who opened up from the pavilion end, saw Ganton at 3-1 after two overs, but they soon slipped to 3-2, as three balls into Robson’s second over Cooper was caught by Ben Briggs for 0.

Filey CC winners of the Hunter Cup 152059

After spending 15 balls at the crease Rob Middlewood was finally bowled by Robson for just two as Ganton’s hopes of a big score slipped away.

But the arrival of Scarborough’s Sam Carver saw the innings take flight, as he hit back-to-back fours before he was trapped lbw for eight by Briggs for his first wicket.

Despite the positive shots, things didn’t improve for Ganton as Joel Sarup came and went, caught by Johnny Hunter on the boundary for just two.

Robson finished with unbelieveable figures of 3-20 from four overs and Ben Briggs took 2-9 including a maiden as Ganton struggled to 25-5 after six.

A small recovery led by Rob Gretton and Anthony Allison, putting on 44 for the sixth wicket saw Ganton reach 69-5 after 11 overs. But after Gretton was caught by Powell for a run-a-ball 37 from the bowling of David Brannan the Ganton innings fell apart.

The last five wickets fell for just seven runs, though Allison held his bat at the other end for an unbeaten 18 as he saw his teammates come and go from the middle.

Dave Brannan took 4-11 and a run out saw Ganton’s hopes dissolve in a matter of minutes, which only escalated Filey’s visible on-field excitement.

Ryan Baldry and Ben Briggs opened the batting for Filey, as they faced off the sharp first over from Carver, but with Baldry falling for a duck to John Bannister in the second over, Dawson was brought to the crease.

Dawson hit 14 from his first three balls to change the dynamic of the game and suddenly the momentum was well and truly with Filey.

The second and third overs both went for 15, as Filey reached 31-1 after three overs, even including the opening maiden.

Dawson continued to hit the ropes, scoring a flurry of boundaries including a six that hit the Trafalgar Square houses.

The shots didn’t stop there. as 28 came from Carver’s third over, with Dawson’s gigantic 50 coming in just 19 balls.

As Gretton wound up to bowl his first over, with only six required, the crowd and the players sensed the game was already over.

Ben Briggs scored five of the required runs, and Dawson fittingly scored the final single through the covers to seal the brilliant victory.