Elvidge hits ton in Flixton draw and Scarborough 2nds edged out by Dringhouses

Neil Elvidge struck a cracking 158 for Flixton against Hull Zingari on Saturday
Neil Elvidge struck a cracking 158 for Flixton against Hull Zingari on Saturday

Neil Elvidge’s superb 158 helped Flixton to a winning draw at home to Hull Zingari in the first division of the York League, while Scarborough 2nds lost by three wickets in a low-scoring division three encounter at North Marine Road, despite a maiden home half-century for Callum Ferrie.

Flixton stalwart Elvidge and fellow opener Oliver Stephenson made Zingari regret putting them in to bat after winning the toss, the left-hander smacking 28 fours and three sixes before finally being caught by Matt Wilkinson off the bowling of Andrew Harrison for 158, having shared an opening stand of 261 in 38 overs with his skipper.

Stephenson was stumped by Nick Biggs off the bowling of Mike Gravill without any further score to leave the hosts on 261-2, Stephenson having struck 85, which included 11 fours and a couple of sixes.

Flixton showed no mercy in the closing 10 overs, with the third-wicket pairing of Scott Cooper, 42no, and Stu Stocks, 46no, sharing an unbroken stand of 89, Cooper hitting five fours and a six and Stocks smashing five fours and two sixes as they posted 350-2 from their 48 overs.

Openers Mark Thompson, 66, and Jack Storey, 53, along with number three batsman Andrew Harrison, 71, gave the Hull side a fighting chance of challenging the Flixton total, but two wickets each from Rich Malthouse and Jamie Nesfield pegged the visitors back and they ended well short on 293-7 from their 48 overs which gave Flixton the winning draw.

Scarborough 2nds were hoping to continue their winning form, but they were kept waiting as the York side were delayed by the bank holiday traffic and turned up nearly an hour late, play finally getting under way at 1.50pm instead of 1pm.

When the visitors arrived Scarborough elected to bat with Dringhouses still waiting on four players to arrive, but when they did get all 11 players on the field the hosts’ wickets started to tumble in quick succession leaving them struggling on 31-3.

Callum Ferrie continued his fine form with the bat and steadied the ship, punishing the bad ball along with fellow opening bowler Reece Milner.

The pair batted well and dragged the team to what was starting to look like a respectable total beforeMilner fell for 21 leaving Ferrie to bat with the tail.

Ferrie fought hard and completed his first North Marine Road fifty before being clean-bowled, ending the innings on 156 all out.

Lewis Chipchase was the top bowler for Dringhouses with 4-15.

Keen to stay in the action Ferrie and Milner both impressed with their opening spell of bowling.

Ferry was unplayable at times and bagged good figures of nine overs for only nine runs and Milner’s nine overs went for only 24.

The Dringhouses batsmen nudged and edged their way through the innings with opening batsmen Chris Evans going for 26 and Chris Storey for 21.

In such a low-scoring game wickets needed to be taken and that is just what Kawsar Ahmed produced taking out both openers in quick succession and ending with figures of 3-12 in six overs.

The wickets continued to tumble and the pressure was put back on Dringhouses, but after these successes the innings trickled along to a slow finish with Sam Bibby pulling his side over the line with an unbeaten 23.