Pinder powers Staxton to Hospital final glory

Hospital Cup winners Staxton 152052a
Hospital Cup winners Staxton 152052a

Staxton opener Rob Piinder struck a superb 80 as his side beat Malton & Old Malton by five wickets in the Hospital Cup final at North Marine Road.

After Malton captain Dan Foxton won the toss and elected to bat first, Malton’s openers Tom Bumby and Shaun Harland started slowly with only 2 from the first six balls.

But the introduction of Linden Gray for the second over set Bumby away, scoring 14 from three balls he hit the pavilion with a giant six then hit fours through cover and deep midwicket in an over worth 17.

While bowling an inexpensive spell from the Trafalgar End, Dan Outhart expertly bowled a maiden to build pressure, before Bumby was caught by Andrew Holtby for 23 off the bowling of Gray in his second over.

Gray followed this with the wicket of Shaun Harland, who had just hit a four straight back, then tried to cut a straight ball and was bowled for 15 leaving them 44-2.

This left Malton in trouble, as soon after Tom Harrison was caught on the boundary for just six runs off Gray and captain Foxton was trapped LBW by Outhart for only four with the score only on 57.

A double bowling change from Staxton saw Adam Hargreaves and Elliot Cooper introduced to the attack against brothers Michael and Steven Linsley, who put together a partnership worth 42, before Michael was caught by Rob Pinder off Cooper’s bowling for 31.

He followed this up with the wicket of Max Fraser for a duck, clean-bowling him.

Steve Linsley then took the initiative with a brisk 23,but after he fell, Ryan Gaughan and Morgan Fraser, who scored 12 not out and 7 not out respectively, took the total to 133-7 from 20 overs.

Gray, who took 3-40, and Cooper, with 2-25, were the pick of Staxton’s bowlers, with Dan Outhart and Holtby also picking up a wicket each.

Staxton’s openers Pinder and Paul Witty took strike against Michael Linsley to start the chase of 134 but with Malton bowling positively, just 17 came from the first five overs, with Witty caught behind for five from Linsley’s bowling.

As Pinder and Morris started to put a partnership together, they slowly accumulated runs, bringing up the 50 partnership after nine overs, while confidently rotating the strike.

The pair put on 69 before Morris was finally run out by Harland for 25, breaking the partnership and bringing Chris Dove to the crease, who departed soon after for just one run.

After Pinder brought up his 50 in 51 balls, he was given a life after being dropped on the boundary by Harland.

It proved to be a costly drop, as the next over he hit 22 and brought the required runs down to just 14 from the last 12 balls.

Despite the loss of Gibson, Pinder continued with Dan Bulman at his side until he was ran out by Harland for 80.

It left Gray needing four from five balls, and he duly obliged by flicking Bumby through backward sqaure leg for four as Staxton won by five wickets with three balls remaining.

Susan Harland and Edwin Cooper were thanked for their scoring efforts, Kieran Rutter for operating the scoreboard and umpires Mike O’Brien and Colin Palmer for ensuring the game ran smoothly and succesfully.

Result: Staxton 134-5 (R Pinder 80, D Morris 25) beat Malton & Old Malton 133-7 (M Linsley 31, T Bumby 23, S Linsley 23, L Gray 3-40, E Cooper 2-25) by five wickets.