Amotherby battle back for late draw

Man of the match Marcus Godsell in action for Malton & Norton
Man of the match Marcus Godsell in action for Malton & Norton

Amotherby & Swinton 3

Malton & Norton 3

The first derby of the season ended in a six-goal thriller.

The home side went into the game pointless with there rivals from across the River Derwent unbeaten in the league for 11 months.

However it was the home side who started the quicker putting pressure on their back four and they got a deserved opener on 10 minutes when a free-kick from captain Steven Clay was nicked in at the near post by Matthew Webster.

The lead lasted a matter of seconds when youngster Kingsley Daffern ran through, his attempted lob finally being put in by Marcus Godsell.

The home side were shell-shocked and Malton & Norton took full advantage scoring minutes later, Godsell on the scoresheet, Amotherby appeals for offside ignored by the referee as M&N went 2-1 ahead.

Amotherby started to get back into the game Jonny Dunning should have done better from a tight angle his shot blazed high over the bar and then Andy Phillips brought a fingertip save out of Andy Slaughter to keep the score at 2-1.

Just as Amotherby were starting to gain control of the game again Malton & Norton hit a sucker punch with Godsell completing his hat-trick as Amotherby tried to play the offside trap.

At half-time, manager Hood made a double substitution and moving Clay from winger to centre-back and this proved to be decisive as Malton & Norton never got started in the second half and on 65 minutes Amotherby got a deserved lifeline when sub Ryan Boyd slipped in Phillips for him to race clear and slot past Andy Slaughter.

Andy Phillips then had a glorious chance to equalise however his one-on-one with Slaughter saw the striker hammer the ball straight at Slaughter.

Then in the closing stages of the game the game erupted.

Amotherby forced a series of corners and on 80 minutes the ref awarded a penalty to Amotherby after Liam Burdett pulled striker Phillips to the ground, Burdett was booked for a second time and was sent off for the second week in a row.

Ryan Boyd stepped up but his penalty was weak as Slaughter made a comfortable save, this spurred the away team and they came so close to finishing off the game this time Godsell’s shot looked destined for the net only to rebound of the post and the ball cleared to safety.

The drama then took one final turn in stoppage time as Phillips, who was offside in the build-up, was bundled to the ground by the onrushing Slaughter and the referee ordered a second Amotherby penalty.

This time Webster stepped up and sent Slaughter the wrong way to finish the game at 3-3.

Strikers Marcus Godsell and Andy Phillips were named man of the matches for their teams as the result and come back from Amotherby hopefully will kick start their season, and Malton & Norton felt like they had lost only for perhaps over confidence at half time may have cost them picking up maximum points.