Barnes stars as Filey net final victory

Skipper Liam Barnes put in a commanding display as Filey Town won the Coastal Shellfish League Cup at Pickering Town tonight, beating Edgehill 2-0 in a competitive final.

Barnes scored the opener for Town after 15 minutes and also earned the Steve Coulson Trophy for the man of the match award before collecting the League Cup in front of a jubilant Filey team and supporters at a windy Mill Lane,

Filey boss Dave Brannan was delighted with his side’s performance, but feels it is just the start of an important run-in, as his team are still chasing West Pier in the ball for the Scarborough News Saturday League division one title.

“I think we were so strong in defence tonight, to keep a clean sheet in a final is a great achievement. It was a game of two halves, and we took our chances when we had the wind at our backs in the opening 45 minutes, while they came back well after the break but failed to score.

“Liam was superb in defence, as were the other three lads, James Jenkinson, Will Hunter and Darren Pledger, but our keeper Jamie Haxby must have also been close to earning the man-of-the-match award as he pulled off three stunning saves in the second half, especially the final one from Aaron Jenking.

“This is just the beginning for us, as we have some massive league games coming up, including the big one against Pier next Wednesday and we really want to win the league title.”

After a scrappy opening 10 minutes, Filey’s physical superiority helped them claim the upper hand, although it was Edgehill striker Alec Coulson who had the first chance, Barnes blocking his effort in the 12th minute.

Three minutes later the tall centre-half was taking centre-stage at the other end of the pitch, powerfully heading in a corner to give Town the lead.

Less than two minutes later striker Phil Dickens latched onto a long through-ball and placed his low shot past Edgehill keeper Martin Cappleman and into the Edgehill net.

Town dominated possession for the rest of the half, but created very few clear-cut chances, the best opportunity falling to Edgehill just before half-time, Haxby making a fine stop from Dean Craig’s volley after a fine team move.

At half-time, ex-Boro and Pickering Town ace Joel Ramm replaced midfielder Carl Hepples, although Ramm slotted in alongside Coulson up front, with former Filey forward Paul Allick dropping back into midfield alongside Craig. This tactical switch, along with the wind at their backs, stirred Edgehill into life, with Steve Clegg’s side growing in confidence, Haxby pulling off a good save in the 52nd minute to deny Ramm.

A minute later Edgehill skipper Danny White put a free header wide from a corner, while Coulson fired a shot over the bar as his side piled on the pressure.

Tempers flared when the impressive Town midfielder Jordan Philliskirk was penalised for a strong challenge on the equally impressive Craig, but Bill Pashby did not book the Filey player and the situation was defused.

Haxby made another cracking save to deny Ramm in the 76th minute and this prompted Brannan to bring on some fresh legs, Stu Dickens, Liam Sugden and John Emmerson replacing promising young striker James Pinder, Philliskirk and right-back Darren Pledger respectively.

This move seemed to quash any Edgehill hopes, although there was still time for the outstanding Haxby to pull off a point-blank save to stop a goalbound shot from Jenking.

Ady Blake of sponsors Coastal Shellfish presented the man of the match trophy to Barnes, then the runners-up awards to Edgehill before finally giving Town’s players their medals and finally Barnes returned to lift aloft the League Cup to the cheers of a vociferous Filey following.

Edgehill team: M Cappleman, P Watson (P Warnett 66mins), M Burling, D White, L Henderson, A Jenking, D Craig, C Hepples (J Ramm 46), L Cooper, P Allick, A Coulson. Subs not used: D Jones, M Kapczynski, E Sill.

Filey Town team: J Haxby, D Pledger (J Emmerson 86), L Barnes, J Jenkinson, W Hunter, R Tomlinson, L Cappleman, J Philliskirk (L Sugden 82), B Briggs, P Dickens, J Pinder (S Dickens 80), Subs not used: L Eblet, M Gage.

Referee: Bill Pashby. Assistants Nigel Trotter and Alan Marshall. Fourth official Sam Hardaker.