Battling Boro edged out at high-flying Ossett Albion

Scarborough Athletic produced a gutsy performance at play-off hopefuls Ossett Albion but failed to land a decisive blow in a 1-0 defeat.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 21st February 2016, 11:59 am
Updated Sunday, 21st February 2016, 12:05 pm
Boro news

The home side showed a clinical touch to edge ahead shooting down the slope as Boro could not gain a foothold to clamber back into the game.

There was not much to choose between the two sides but Albion showed that extra quality when needed to seize the lead and hold on for the three points. After more than holding their own in the first half, Steve Kittrick’s side fell away shooting up the hill and a Danny South header midway through the second half proved the difference.

Dave Merris and Glenn Matthews returned to the starting line-up after missing the midweek success, with Steve Mallory missing out and Tom McNamee dropping to the bench.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Boro were forced to bring on McNamee early on though when defender Shane Killock was floored by a blow to the face. Dazed and confused, the Boro defender was replaced but was forced to sit on the touchline while waiting for an ambulance to arrive, with Albion striker Adam Jones escaping with just a yellow card.

The game quickly warmed up with Ryan Blott curling over and Tom Corner seeing his shot on the turn blocked as Boro pressed forward with the slope in their favour. With Corner winning the battle in the air Niall Flint was able to use his pace to run on to flicked balls forward and force the home defence onto the back foot. It was one such run that saw Flint go down in the box to spark shouts for a penalty, but referee instead booked the Boro frontman for diving.

Albion striker Rob Bordman was a constant irritant up front and he came close to giving his side the lead with a free-kick that slipped just wide, quickly followed by a header that landed on the roof of the net on the stroke of half-time after six minutes injury time added on.

Shooting uphill in the second half, Boro found the going a lot tougher with former Scarborough FC midfielder Scott Kerr breaking up play for the home side and feeding the Albion frontman as Boro struggled to retain possession for an extended period.

Ryan Blott nearly produced a moment of magic as he skewed over and into the vocal travelling support huddled behind the goal after lining up an audacious overhead kick. Steve Kittrick brought on Jamie Forrester and new addition Eddy Birch to freshen up his side with some pace going forward.

With the game drifting, the result hinged on a key ten minute period that turned the game in favour of the home side.

Ossett stole possession in the Boro half and striker Adam Jones found a yard of space to force a smart save from Nick Draper to turn the ball behind with a well struck effort. Disaster struck from the resulting corner though when Albion skipper Danny South rose highest to nod past Draper from five yards to seize the initiative for his side.

The drama continued as a slip by Nathan Peat allowed Bordman to race through on goal. Draper came out and brought down Bordman as the last man just outside the area, with referee Anthony Moore brandishing a red card despite claims the keeper had won the ball. With all three substitutions made, it was sub McNamee who donned the keepers gloves for a free-kick from Bordman that was blocked behind.

In added time Bordman tried a cheeky lob from long range to try and catch out McNamee but could only find the stand behind the goal.

There was no way back for Boro after this and leaves a six-pointer against Radcliffe Borough looming on the horizon next Saturday.