Beadle’s brace derails Harrogate

Boro v Harrogate Railway Picture by Kelly Lund
Boro v Harrogate Railway Picture by Kelly Lund

A quick-fire double from Jimmy Beadle ensured that Scarborough Athletic’s first home outing of the new campaign ended in victory over Harrogate Railway.

Despite dominating for long periods and playing some tidy football, the Seadogs showed great character to secure the three points, twice coming from behind in a thrilling encounter.

Boro looked to pass and move the ball quickly from the off, but it was the visitors who threatened first.

Adam Baker burst down the left wing and forced a double save from Jason White before Nathan Cartman had an effort disallowed for offside.

Athletic’s first real chance of the evening arrived after 12 minutes when Railway keeper Karl Dean’s dreadful clearance gifted Boro a sight of goal.

The ball would not sit for Jimmy Beadle and before he could unleash a shot, Gary Bradshaw took the ball off the end of his teammate’s boot but Dean gathered easily.

Ryan Blott then headed over a Williams cross before Dean was forced to tip a Bradshaw curler around the post.

The resulting corner was initially cleared but when the ball was delivered back into the box Bradshaw rose highest at the back post and nodded the ball to Steve Burton who some how contrived to drag his shot wide of a gaping goal from just a few yards out.

With Boro well in the ascendancy it was against the run of play when Harrogate ventured down the other end and grabbed the first goal of the game in the 22nd minute.

Giant striker Lamin Colley cut in from the right and his scuffed effort was diverted into the net from close range by Cartman.

Just as was the case in Saturday’s defeat at Salford, Boro responded positively to going 1-0 down and just moments later Gary Bradshaw rattled the cross bar with a free-kick.

Ryan Williams then fired a powerful strike just wide after a superb run infield from the left flank.

It seemed that it was just a matter of time for Rudy Funk’s men, and this was proved to be the case when Blott fed Bradshaw and last season’s top-scorer levelled the scores with a deft finish.

Half-time arrived at a bad time for Athletic, with their visitors struggling to keep up with the tempo of their play.

The second half got off to a fairly uneventful start compared to the opening period with Boro restricted to long-range efforts in the opening quarter of an hour.

Disaster then struck as Railway re-took the lead, Colley curling a free-kick past White from just outside the penalty area.

A crucial block by Ben Middleton on his own goalline just moments later kept Boro in the game, and the hosts were soon back into their stride and pressing for a second equaliser.

A sustained period of pressure saw Harrogate trapped in their own half with a flurry of balls into his six-yard box resulting in visiting gloveman Dean looking somewhat panicked.

As was the case in the first half, a leveller looked certain to arrive and it did with 75 minutes on the clock.

Chris Bolder picked up the ball on the edge of the box and squared it to Beadle who took a touch before lashing a thunderous effort past Dean and into the top corner.

Just three minutes later the turnaround was complete when Beadle smashed home a spot-kick after an incisive raid from Bradshaw was brought to a premature end by a scything tackle from Railway centre half Dan Thirkell.

Contact can have only just been inside the box, yet referee Matt McGrath had no hesitation in awarding the penalty, and after a few moments of deliberation gave Thirkell his marching orders.

Boro created a couple of half chances in the closing stages, Beadle heading over the bar and substitute Jimmy Ghaichem troubling the Harrogate rearguard with some tricky runs into the box, but by this point the damage had already been done and the Seadogs comfortably held out for the win.