Beesley steers Boro to three points

Scarborough Athletic bagged their first win of the season on Saturday afternoon when they hung on for a 1-0 win at home to Colwyn Bay.

Saturday, 27th August 2016, 3:50 pm
Updated Saturday, 27th August 2016, 4:56 pm
Boro report

A solitary Paul Beesley was enough to seal the three points, though battling Boro had to hang on a little in the end.

Boro boss Steve Kittrick was forced into a change right on kick-off as Dean Lisles injured himself in the warm-up, Ellis Humble stepped into the breach.

Despite this blow Boro made a fine start, Craig Nelthorpe going close in the opening exchanges, but his shot was saved by keeper Shaun Pearson.

Boro were more clinical minutes later when Paul Beesley was played in on goal and he made no mistake with a neat finish.

Bay were shocked into action by this, being led forward by a lively Danny Andrews.

Jordan Porter pushed away an effort from Chris Gahgan, then the Boro keeper seemed to collide with Bay striker Gary Burnett, but referee Mr Smith shook his head.

Andrews then fired wide before making some space in the box and looking a dead cert to score, though Porter nicked the ball off his toe.

The dangerous Andrews continued to cause problems, but his involvement in the game was ended just before the break, through his own stupidity.

A bout of handbags broke out and Andrews clearly kneed Boro man Craig Nelthorpe. The linesman saw this and after a word with the ref, Andrews was given a straight red.

The numbers were levelled up minutes after the break, when Nelthorpe man-handled his opponent to collect a second yellow card.

Bay assumed the ascendancy once again as things calmed down, though a double change from Kittrick just after the hour almost made an immediate impact.

David Brown and Carl Stewart arrived from the bench and almost instantly the former was taken down in the box by keeper Pearson.

The Bay gloveman made amends though, as David Brown's penalty was comfortably saved.

The visitors had a great chance of their own soon after when the ball fell kindly for Burnett in the box. Unbelievably though, Burnett managed to roll the ball wide from six yards.

Big chances continued to come and go at both ends of the field.

Carl Stewart could and should have wrapped the game up with just five minutes left, but he hit the side-netting rather than bulging the onion bag.

Then a Bay corner was headed goalwards at the near post. Dave Merris headed off the line with Porter beaten.

Porter tipped over a Gahgan shot right on the final whistle, making sure of his clean-sheet and a three-point haul.