Bell’s late leveller nets Parke’s Pier a point

Sunday League by Rhys Howell (
Sunday League by Rhys Howell (

Dave Bell bagged a late equaliser to earn West Pier a point against Fylingdales in division one, while Fylingdales’ reserve side picked up a much-needed win at home to Alma in the second division.


West Pier 3 (M Cooper, Lowery, D Bell) Fylingdales 3 (Agar, Faichney, Forde)

West Pier and Fylingdales played out a six-goal thriller at Sherburn.

With the wind behind them, Dales were two goals to the good by half-time through Jamie Agar and a deflected strike from Jake Faichney.

Pier hit back after the break when skipper Martin Cooper found the back of the visitors’ net and parity was restored when Liam Lowery struck.

Cooper hit the woodwork twice as Paddy Parke’s charges looked to go in front for the first time in the game but it was the village team who grabbed the next goal when Simon Forde registered.

Pier were not finished though and Dave Bell popped up with a leveller in the closing stages to earn his side a share of the spoils.

Pier boss Parke said: “A draw was probably a fair result overall.

“Our captain Martin Cooper led the way with another great performance in the centre of midfield but centre-half Daz Swinger just pipped him to the man of the match award.”

Dales manager Neil Brearley added: “We had the better of the first half and Pier were on top in the second, I’m very pleased with a point.

“The referee did not show up so Pier’s Jamie Towse was forced to referee the game.

“I would like to say a big thank you to him and to West Pier for enabling the fixture to go ahead.”

Roscoes Bar 4 (Sedman 2, C Hepples 2) Filey Flyers 0

Roscoes secured their fourth win in five league games with a 4-0 home success over Filey Flyers.

There were no goals in a scrappy opening period but the introduction of Carl Hepples from the substitutes bench proved the catalyst for the hosts to take control of proceedings after the break.

Ant Sedman netted a brace before a quick-fire double from Hepples - the first a neat low finish and the second a long-range strike into the bottom corner - saw Lee Patterson’s side take an unassailable lead.

Patterson picked out Sedman as his side’s man of the match for an industrious performance that was capped by his well-taken goals.


Fylingdales Reserves 4 (Elwick 2, Tuby, Noble) Alma 2 (Fishburn 2)

Fylingdales Reserves picked up their first victory since joining the Sunday League when they saw off fellow strugglers Alma.

Mitch Tuby and Graham Elwick put Dales 2-0 up before Mike Fishburn halved the deficit before half-time.

James Noble restored the hosts’ two-goal cushion before Elwick’s second of the game took the scoreline to 4-1.

Fishburn netted a second for Alma with 10 minutes to go and was singled out by manager Jim Braithwaite as his side’s star performer, while midfielder Elwick was Dales’ man of the match.

Fylingdales manager Neil Purves said: “We are over the moon to have got that first win under our belts.

“We have had a baptism of fire because there are some very good sides in this division but we have been getting better with every game.

“Hopefully this victory will be the first of many.”


Trafalgar Reserves 3 (J Pinder 2, Shaw) Newlands Reserves 5 (T Wood 3, Tadman, Weller) AET

Newlands Reserves battled back from three goals down to beat Trafalgar Reserves in controversial circumstances.

Despite league rules stating that the cup ties should go straight to penalties if the scores are level after 90 minutes, referee David Hudghton played a period of extra time, during which the away side completed their stunning comeback.

Newlands kicked-off with just 10 men and a brace from Jack Pinder and a Wayne Shaw effort seemed to have Traf cruising to a comfortable win.

The arrival of Lewis Weller after 25 minutes proved to be a turning point and goals from James Tadman and Travis Wood brought Newlands back into contention.

Wood struck again at the death to level things up at 3-3 with 90 minutes played and he completed his hat-trick to move Newlands ahead in extra time.

Weller then sealed the win for Dave Gaddass’ side when he smashed the ball into the top corner of the home net from 20 yards to spark wild celebrations among the Newlands ranks.

Traf’s joint-manager Andy Noon said: “The best team won the game, Newlands worked harder and wanted it more than we did.

“We were on the back foot after they scored their late equaliser and the game should have gone to penalties. The referee should know the rules.”

Tennyson Reserves 3 (Spooner 2, Mahoney) Heslerton 3 (Daffern, Beech, K Oxendale) Tennyson win 6-5 on penalties.

Tennyson Reserves secured their second penalty shoot-out victory in as many games after their clash with Heslerton was another game to finish 3-3 after 90 minutes.

Having beaten top-flight Filey Flyers on penalties in the Kenward Cup last time out, Tennyson again kept their nerve from the spot.

The home side led three times courtesy of two goals from Craig Spooner and a Sam Mahoney strike, however on each occasion Heslerton fought back to equalise.

New signing Kingsley Daffern registered Heslerton’s first in the opening period, Joshua Beech struck after half-time and Kevin Oxendale netted a dramatic third leveller with just seconds remaining.

Both sides scored their first five penalties in the shoot-out before home keeper George Allen saved Heslerton’s sixth effort and Spooner slotted home the winner.

Commercial 6 (M Barker 5, Youngson) Angel 0

Mike Barker continued his prolific form in front of goal as stand-in boss Stuart Mawer led Commercial to a 6-0 win over Angel.

In a game that the home side led 3-0 at the interval, Barker helped himself to five goals with Macauley Youngson also on target.

Stephen Barker was Commercial’s man of the match as the victors completed their eighth successive victory.