Blott double fires Boro to crushing win

Ryan Blott netted twice against Thackley on Tuesday night
Ryan Blott netted twice against Thackley on Tuesday night

Scarborough Athletic made it two out of two when they took visitors Thackley apart at a damp Queensgate on Tuesday night.

Rudy Funk’s men produced a magnificent display for the opening 75 minutes of the 4-1 win, before easing off the gas in the closing stages.

By this point Boro were cruising to the top of the NCEL Premier table, thanks mainly to the culture of midfielder James Bennett and the deadly finishing of Ollie Ryan and Ryan Blott.

But these players shouldn’t be singled out, as Boro’s whole team bought into a passing game that had their opponents chasing shadows for long periods.

Boro glistened in the rain from the very beginning, and they almost grabbed the lead in the first few minutes when Tommy Adams burst through on goal. He was denied by a smart save from Mark Bower and Robbie Hawkes failed to take advantage of the rebound, smashing it high and wide of the target.

Bennett drove a sweetly-struck effort just wide for Boro, though there was the odd concerning moment at the other end. Keeper Kevin Martin flapped at a cross and the ball fell to Brice Tiani, but he missed his kick.

Last season’s top scorer Blott then grabbed centre stage, firstly firing across the centre of the goal, and then producing a composed finish to break the deadlock.

With 31 minutes played Blott collected a glorious cross from Paddy Miller, took a touch and despatched it into the bottom corner.

Thackley could well have struck back immediately, but Martin managed to keep Boro’s cushion intact.

He saved well from an Adam Hill strike and then gathered after the ball struck the chest of Thackley’s James Firth just a yard or two from the goal.

What Thackley lacked in cutting edge Boro and Blott certainly didn’t, as the striker raced away just seconds before the interval to make it two.

Blott scampered onto a Pete Davison ball, lifted it neatly over the keeper’s arm and poked home.

The hat-trick beckoned just seconds after the restart when Ryan was felled in the box by keeper Bower. Blott stepped up, but he fired he penalty straight at the stopper’s body.

Bennett had an effort saved, before skipper Tony Hackworth made his first appearance of the campaign, arriving as sub for Davison just before the hour. New signing Joel Ramm also arrived for his debut, being brought on for the lively Hawkes.

But it was midfielder Bennett who made the breakthrough for the third time, scoring a second spectacular strike in as many matches after 69 minutes.

Bennett initially whipped in a free-kick, which eventually broke nicely for him on the edge of the box. He let go with a crashing shot, which shuddered the underside of the bar on the way into the net.

Ryan wasn’t going to be denied his second in two games, as he rolled home the fourth with 16 minutes left on the clock.

With the result wrapped up, Boro began their canter to the final whistle, but Thackley had other ideas.

A fantastic strike from Mark Bett trimmed things back to three goals, and the same player had the ball in the net for a second time, but he was adjudged to be off-side.

Boro knew they had done enough though, and in truth it could have been more. That would have been the case if Blott’s stunning free-kick had flown into the top corner rather than striking the advertising boards behind the Thackley goal.

Boro: Martin; Clayton (Kemp 71), Milne, Plummer; Davison (Hackworth 59), Hawkes (Ramm 61), Adams, Bennett, Miller; Blott, Ryan.

Att: 380.