Blott’s quick treble helps Boro fight back for win at Thackley

Catch Rudy Funk's column in Thursday's Scarborough News
Catch Rudy Funk's column in Thursday's Scarborough News

Five second-half goals saw Scarborough Athletic claim maximum points from their trip to Thackley and extended the Seadogs’ lead at the top of the NCEL Premier Division table.

However, Rudy Funk’s men did it the hard way at Dennyfield, trailing until the 58th minute when Ryan Blott’s quickfire hat-trick set Boro on their way to an eighth consecutive league victory.

As the visitors took their time to get to grips with the heavy pitch, Thackley were quickly into their stride and moved ahead inside 10 minutes through Matt Hall.

Boro looked uncharacteristically shaky at the back in the opening exchanges and Hall took advantage of some sloppy marking to collect Jordan Missin’s pass before jinking around Steve Wilson and slotting home.

Boro headed straight down the other end in search of parity and when skipper Tony Hackworth was left with a clear run on goal it looked as if they would be back level within two minutes of going behind.

However, in rounding home keeper Tom Carlisle, Hackworth was forced wide of goal and the opportunity was gone.

Ryan Blott had half a chance a minute later but was denied by a superb last-ditch tackle inside the six-yard box and the same player was then crowded out when well placed as Boro continued to press.

Andy Milne saw a header well saved by Carlisle just after the half hour but Funk’s charges were not having things all their own way.

Thackley continued to look a threat on the break and good work from Missin brought about a chance for Mark Bett that Boro were relieved to see the substitute shank well wide.

Just a minute before the break, Carlisle floored Tom Adams with an untidy challenge as the Boro midfielder closed in on goal.

Although referee Mr. Watson initially waved away Boro claims for a penalty, he eventually awarded a spot-kick on the advice of his assistant.

Hackworth - successful from the spot in Boro’s last outing - was thwarted by a brilliant save by Carlisle diving to his left and Thackley headed for the half-time oranges with their slender lead intact.

The second period began the same way that the first had ended with Boro enjoying plenty of possession while Thackley continued to threaten on the counter attack.

Jimmy Beadle had a penalty shout waved away two minutes after the resumption, but most of the action was centered around the visitors’ goal with Hall and Bett both coming close to extending the Denny Boys’ advantage.

Funk was becoming increasingly frustrated on the sidelines as his side huffed and puffed to no avail.

However, with 58 minutes on the clock it was 1-1 when Beadle flicked on Denny Ingram’s long throw-in and Blott’s first-time effort was too hot for Carlisle to handle.

Seven minutes later Blott struck again, powerfully heading home following a Paddy Miller corner from the right.

Thackley were not finished though, and Missin headed over when it looked easier to score before Bett spurned another good opportunity.

The all-important fourth goal arrived in the 73rd minute and it went the way of the Seadogs with the lethal Blott completing his hat-trick.

Beating Thackley’s offside trap, Boro’s number 9 cut in from the left, skinned Carlisle and kept his cool despite running out of room next to the byline.

Carrying the ball back inside, Blott calmly stroked it past the despairing dives of two defenders on the goalline to give the men in yellow some breathing space.

The home side were visibly stunned to find themselves 3-1 down and Boro played out the remainder of the game at a canter.

Hackworth added a fourth with five minutes remaining, dispatching a classy strike into the bottom corner of the net after a neat turn on the edge of the box.

Beadle then rounded off the scoring in added time with the goal his second-half performance deserved.

After winning possession in the centre of the pitch and exchanging passes with Blott, the former Whitby Town favourite opened his account for Athletic by ramming the ball past the beleagured Carlisle.

Once again, Boro produced a second-half display that their opponents just could not live with and ran out comfortable winners despite struggling in the opening stages of

both halves of the contest.

Andy Milne was the pick of the back four, the tenacious Tom Adams drove his teammates forward from the centre of the park, while Blott and Beadle were outstanding in the second period.