Boro battle back for Nostell win

Tony Hackworth slots home Boro's first   Pictures by James Hunter
Tony Hackworth slots home Boro's first Pictures by James Hunter

Scarborough Athletic miraculously came out on top after a Jekyll and Hyde performance at Nostell.

As poor as they were when slipping 3-1 down in the NCEL Premier battle, Boro responded with moments of true quality to bounce back and snatch the points with a 4-3 win.

Having smashed Lincoln MR 10-0 in their last outing, confidence was high in the Athletic ranks and they showed this in the early part of the game.

Tony Hackworth returned to the line-up after injury and it was the attacker who led the push with some sharp play.

After dragging a shot wide in the first minute, Hackworth went even closer soon after when he rose majestically to meet a corner, but his header sailed just over the bar.

It was a bit of a stunner then when Nostell grabbed the lead in the ninth minute. Striker Graham Marchant took full advantage when the ball smacked against Steve Wilson’s bar, with the frontman stopping to head home.

There was a glimpse of Boro character after this, as the gritted their teeth and hauled themselves straight back on terms.

Hackworth was rolled clear of the defence and he kept his cool to stroke past keeper Josh Proctor from the edge of the box.

Many would have thought that Boro would canter to victory from here, but Nostell were no mugs, showing plenty of battling spirit that could have sealed the points in their favour.

Boro keeper Wilson somehow scooped the ball off the line when Marchant and Franck Zalo fluffed their lines in front of an open goal.

This was a clear warning sign though, as Nostell bagged a two-goal cushion with strikes either side of the break.

The Boro back-line disappeared just after the half-hour when Nostell were allowed to win a free header in the box and Mitchell Pearson bundled the ball home.

The referee then discovered his card pocket as Andy Milne and Paddy Miller were both awarded yellows, Miller’s being ridiculously harsh as he was booked for being stamped on by Zalo.

Boro could have restored parity when the second half got underway, but Nostell stopper Proctor made amazing saves from Hackworth and a Milne header.

Play then switched swiftly to the other end and Marchant pounced to add his second of the afternoon when Boro failed to clear their lines.

In past seasons that would have killed Boro off, but the gradually began to force their way back into the game and Nostell soon began to creak under the pressure.

Boro maybe should have been awarded a penalty when Ryan Blott was tripped in the box, but they were handed a free-kick on the edge of the box with 20 minutes to go and Paddy Miller took full advantage.

The winger bent the ball beautifully into the bottom corner, with Proctor left standing.

Blott then tuned the sights on his boots when Boro were given another free-kick 25 yards from goal. The striker smashed home to register his seventh goal in five games.

Boro completed the job in the 78th minute, as Hackworth played in Miller, who comfortably slotted in to seal a remarkable come-back.

There was still plenty of action remaining, though possibly not the action the fans will have wanted.

Milne was bafflingly given a second yellow card when he won the ball in the middle of the park.

Then, after the final whistle, a bout of handbags broke out on the path to the dressing room, placing a disappointing tinge on an otherwise fine afternoon for Boro.