Boro battle, but Lincoln grab the victory

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic may have been beaten 1-0 by Conference side Lincoln City on Saturday afternoon, but there was certainly no disgrace in the defeat.

They matched their opponents at a sweltering Silver Royd for long periods and only a shut down in concentration denied them a share of the friendly spoils.

In fact, Boro possibly had the better of it in the second period after the introduction of Gary Bradshaw, James Bennett and Pete Davidson, who slowly began to run the show.

Boro made a positive start when the game got underway though any meaningful highlights were at a premium.

With Ryan Blott and Zeph Thomas in attack being allowed few touches by a strong Lincoln defence, much of the creativity came from midfield and the industry of Ryan Williams.

Lincoln fielded last season’s top-scorer Ben Tomlinson in their front-line, but he was superbly marshalled by the dominant Steve Burton.

The Imps’ first opportunity came with 25 minutes on the clock, but Jordan Brown’s close-range header was brilliantly kept out by the reactions of Boro keeper Ryan Pugh.

With the minutes ticking towards the half-time interval, Boro completely shut off from a set piece, Tony Diagne rose majestically and powered a free header into the top corner.

Boro tried to respond swiftly, though once again Lincoln held firm and saw out the remaining moments of the half.

The Imps rung the changes at the break, with Funk only opting to throw on Joe Lamplough at the back in place of Tom Burgin.

Lincoln began the new period brightly, Jake Caprice floated a cross just past the far post and Todd Jordan smashed in an effort that grazed the upright.

Danny Chambers, Davidson, Bennett, Bradshaw and Ryan McCaffrey were then introduced, though Lincoln almost took advantage as these changes bedded in.

Jordan Burrow was presented with a great chance on the edge of the six-yard box, but he somehow crashed over the bar with Pugh grounded.

Pugh was then at his best when Keegan Everington streaked free, the keeper saving a low shot with his foot.

That was his last action as Pugh was withdrawn for Cory Hadfield, while Jarrod Smalley and Ben Middleton were also thrust into the action.

Bradshaw and Bennett both saw their free-kicks saved by Lincoln’s second-half keeper Luke Chambers. Then Bennett broke cleverly into the box, but once again Chambers met his low shot.

Boro continued to press, with Bradshaw’s shot being blocked on the line, but they failed to make that incisive breakthrough and Lincoln held on for the victory.