Boro charge back for battling point

Joel Ramm fires home Boro's first    Picture by James Hunter
Joel Ramm fires home Boro's first Picture by James Hunter

A late show almost booked Scarborough Athletic three points on the road at fellow high-flyers Worksop Parramore on Saturday.

But the hosts somehow hung on in a thrilling encounter, which finally finished all square at 4-4.

Boro maintained their generous nature at the back as Worksop were gifted each of their four goals by weak defending, but at the other end Rudy Funk’s men were rampant.

Playing with only Ryan Blott in attack, he was joined in Boro’s raiding by Robbie Hawkes, Joel Ramm, Pete Davidson, James Bennett and Tommy Adams, all of whom burst at will forward from the midfield.

After a busy start in the searing Nottinghamshire heat, it was Ramm who handed Boro the lead with 21 minutes played.

The midfielder jinked his way into the box and placed his shot past the keeper into the bottom corner.

Worksop’s response was swift, as Lee Holmes cut through the Boro back-line and finished with style.

Holmes could have moved Parramore ahead soon after when he was sent clean through on Steve Wilson’s goal, but the keeper saved smartly to maintain parity.

The deadlock between the sides was broken after 38 minutes when Will McGhie advanced through a creaking Boro defence to round Wilson and stab home.

A shellshocked Boro almost bounced back when Ramm found more space in the area, but when felled by a clumsy Paul Sykes challenge the referee turned his back.

Things soon got worse though and it was former Scarborough FC striker Lee Whittington who provided the killer touch a minute before the break.

Whittington, who featured in Scarborough FC’s last ever season, latched onto another clever pass and he squeezed the ball under Wilson’s advancing body.

Boro could well have crumbled to a heavy defeat, but they responded courageously with Blott and Hawkes both going close at the beginning of the second period.

Returning flanker Jimmy Ghaichem was also added to the fray, replacing Gaz Clayton.

It was Ghaichem’s industry that helped to earn a corner on the left, which was swung in by Bennett and directed into the net by the head of Adams.

The action swung from end to end after this with efforts from Ghaichem and Adams being saved, while Ramm’s shot was blocked, before he smashed the rebound over.

Wilson certainly wasn’t redundant, tipping a McGhie shot onto the bar and palming away a Holmes free-kick.

Boro were dealt a huge body-blow with just 14 minutes remaining when Worksop sub Jamie Smith collected a woeful back-pass with his first touch and converted with his second.

Boro’s resilience was hugely apparent though and they launched a hefty final push with 11 minutes left on the referee’s watch.

Andy Milne powered a superb header straight into the back of the net and Plummer repeated the feat with just one minute of normal time left to level the game at 4-4.

The board went up and indicated five minutes of injury-time, a boost that Boro almost took full advantage of.

Blott managed to get something on one of the many crosses into the box and it looped onto the post, across the goal-line against the other upright and agonisingly into the keeper’s arms.

Athletic may not have picked up all three of the points, but they certainly did enough to win over every one of the travelling fans, who were treated to an outstanding afternoon of football.