Boro charge through in the FA Cup

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic’s FA Cup procession continued as they eased hosts Team Northumbria out of the competition at the first qualifying round stage.

Boro controlled the tie from start to finish, with much of their attractive football being orchestrated by new winger Ryan Williams and Pete Davidson, who continued in his central midfield role.

Centre-back Paul Foot came back into the side after recovering from a dead-leg, with the former Scarborough FC man helping to seal up a defence that had leaked goals for fun in recent weeks.

Boro breathed with a new confidence in their 4-0 victory, though their quest was helped by an early goal that stung the zest out of the youthful students.

Tom Davie was the scorer of that strike, taking full advantage of Gray Bradshaw’s battling and crossing qualities in the fifth minute of the game.

By that point Boro were looking slick in possession, the highlight being some excellent link-up on the right, much of which involved the spritely Williams.

Davie saw a looping header well saved by home keeper Nial Harrison, and the swift passing continued leaving Team Northumbria chasing shadows for long periods.

New signing Davie soon went from goalscorer to provider when he delivered a ball to the far post and Williams whipped it neatly past the keeper and into the bottom corner.

Then, a handful of minutes later, Davie ghosted free again in the box and was crudely taken down. Bradshaw collected after the referee’s whistle and gave the keeper no hope at all.

The visitors may have thought that their work was done after this, with a bed-settee rather than a cushion being driven between the two teams.

Their slip back down through the gears gave Team Northumbria a glint of hope and they were unlucky not to trim back the advantage when Jason White dived full length to tip away Peter Watling’s curling shot.

It probably should have been wrapped up as a contest a minute before the interval though when Chris Bolder charged clear on Harrison, but the Boro man’s tame lob was lifted straight into the keeper’s hands.

Boro were back on the front foot when the new half got underway, forcing a couple of corners that were dealt with by the home defence.

Funk introduced Ryan Blott in attack with Bolder being withdrawn and the sub immediately made an impact by winning a corner on the left.

Bryan Hughes delivered beautifully and Matty Plummer rose well to head the ball into the net.

In the latter stages things were altered a little more with James Bennett and Lewis Clarkson arriving from the bench, both making useful contributions.

It was a dead game by then though, despite the hosts still giving it a valiant late go.

Dean Critchlow should have dirtied Boro’s clean-sheet when he was presented with two great chances. He was firstly denied by White and then the striker showed a lack of composure when lobbing wide of an open goal.

Clarkson could well have added to Boro’s tally at the other end as well, but the former Hull man failed to live up to his current tag of super-sub.

There was plenty to cheer for Boro when the final whistle was blown, the club’s place in the hat for Monday’s big draw being the main boost.