Boro cling on for Chasetown win

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic showed the gritty side of their nature on Saturday when they had to mix it on their own turf against Chasetown.

A single Lewis Clarkson goal was enough to seal the 1-0 Evo-Stik South win, though they were pushed very close by their West Midlands-based opponents.

Many teams could have crumbled just a handful of days after their gruelling FA Trophy trip to Cambridge, but Boro showed the commitment that was required.

They were forced to hang on with the final whistle approaching, but despite knocking on the door, Chasetown failed to break that all-important duck.

Boro rung the changes across the back as Ben Middleton and Tom Davie were handed starts, Paul Foot and Joe Lamplough missing out.

Jason White was given his first game in goal since returning from injury, he came in for in-form Hull City loanee Joe Cracknell, who switched to the bench.

White justified his selection with a number of outstanding stops throughout the 90 minutes, the former Mansfield Town man earning a clean-sheet and the points.

The Boro keeper was in the action from the very beginning, warming his hands in the chill of Queensgate by holding a Daniel Bragoli strike in the first few moments.

White then made a superb one-handed save from Ramone Stephens as Chasetown continued to push Boro back.

Boro began to ease their way back into the game, but White still continued to earn his corn when grasping a Paul Sullivan shot at the second attempt.

Having weathered the early storm, the lightning sharp Lewis Clarkson was soon given the single chance that he needed to move Boro in front.

Bryan Hughes slipped a slide-rule pass through the Chasetown defence and Clarkson cleverly lifted the ball over the onrushing Ryan Price and into the net.

Clarkson’s finish was the last action of a quiet first half that was followed by an intense second period.

Boro started strongly and after an incisive attack Hughes rolled his shot just past the post.

Chasetown had less cutting edge, though their attacking toil still gave Boro plenty of problems to contend with.

They should have hauled themselves back on terms with 20 minutes left when Stephens rolled the ball to an unmarked Sullivan on the edge of the six-yard box. The striker fluffed his lines though, horribly slicing his shot wide of White’s net.

Boro withdrew Clarkson, opting for the holding-up skills of Blott, who helped Bradshaw make things stick in attack.

Their aim was to take the pressure off a Boro back-line that found themselves firmly under the cosh.

Bodies were put on line though and White maintained his miraculous form that continued to keep Chasetown at bay.

He reacted brilliantly to twice deny Nick Wellecomme in quick succession and he fortunately had luck on his side in the last seconds of the encounter when Wellecomme was picked out at the far post.

The big striker failed to control his header and the ball sailed towards the skate park rather than hitting the net.

The final toot on the whistle came from referee Helen Conley, and despite clasping to a possibly fortunate three-point haul, it was their showing of grit and character that proved to be the ultimate helping hand.