Boro close with dismal defeat

editorial image

NCEL champions Scarborough Athletic finished their season off with a dismal performance on the road at Glasshoughton.

After all the joy of the victory against Retford, Boro’s final outing in the division proved to be a damp squib as they lost 2-1 in West Yorkshire - only their third defeat of the campaign.

Despite the loss their was still a feeling of jubilation around the day, that would have been added to if Boro had hit their usual vein of form.

Their display was stunted by the loss of top-scorer Ryan Blott, who picked up medial ligament damage in the win against Retford. Scarborough News player of the year Pete Davidson was also serving the second of his two-match ban.

David Brown slotted in up front, while Robbie Hawkes was given his first start for some time on the right of midfield.

Rudy Funk’s after-match interview mentioned that he struggled to motivate the players for the game after the previous week’s title celebrations, and that became evident.

Nothing happened in the opening 30 minutes, as the game dropped into the mould of a stereotypical end-of-season encounter.

One bright spark was the touches of Boro midfielder Bryan Hughes, who was unlucky with a sweetly-struck volley when the game finally got going.

The injured Tommy Adams left the fray soon after, with Henry Sibenge being given the nod to take his place wide on the left.

It was from that area of the pitch that Hughes sent in a haunting cross that ghosted across the face of the goal and just past the post.

Sibenge then rose well to connect with a Paddy Miller corner, but his header sailed just wide.

The referee finally brought the curtain down on an awful half of football, allowing the supporters to stock up on pies and pints in anticipation of a thrilling second period.

This failed to materialise though, with the final 45 minutes petering out in disappointing fashion, though these moments were graced by a handful of goals.

The first came in impressive style, when David Brown out-foxed the Glasshoughton defence and smashed his half-volley into the top corner of the net.

Boro looked to add more impetus when Jimmy Beadle took his place on the pitch in place of Hawkes.

But the champions tailed off, and the plucky enthusiasm of Glasshoughton guided them to a shock victory.

Sub Dave Ward delivered a useful ball into the Boro box and Tom Woollard showed his preditory skills to level the game up.

Then Woollard wrapped up the victory with a delicious strike from 25 yards that gave previously redundant keeper Arran Reid no hope.

Boro finally roused when three minutes of stoppage time were awarded, but Tony Hackworth’s powerful header was cleared off the home line.

It may have been a shoddy close, but this season was one to remember and Boro can now look forward to a new adventure in the division above.