Boro crash to third straight league defeat

editorial image

After the high of the FA Cup victory last weekend, Scarborough Athletic slumped to another Evo-Stik League low when they were beaten 3-1 at home by Coalville Town.

It was another tale of glaring errors as Boro let their rivals romp clear in the closing stages.

Boss Rudy Funk opted for the same team that had won in Newcastle just seven days earlier, but there was a vast difference between the two performances.

Players went missing and cohesion vanished in the closing stages of an encounter that saw Boro crash to their third consecutive league defeat.

A creaking back-line wasn’t aided by the red card offered to Paul Foot. Then at the other end of the park, Boro only really threatened when Ryan Blott arrived from the bench.

Coalville keeper Sean Bowes was the busier of the two in the early part of the fixture, grasping a tame Gary Bradshaw header and then going full length to palm clear Tom Davie’s effort from a wicked Ryan Williams cross.

Coalville always looked dangerous on the break though, and Boro stopper Jason White had to be at his best to deny Kevin Charley after the home defence had been sliced through like butter.

Bradshaw seemed to be ploughing a lone furrow in attack, and his trickery freed him up for a strike on goal just before the break, but just as the trigger was being pulled Jamie McAteer cut him down.

Bryan Hughes lined up the free-kick on the edge of the box, but Bowles pushed it acrobatically to safety.

Play soon switched to the other end and Jordan Hempenstall danced neatly past White and was faced by an open goal. The striker’s nerve disappeared though and he rolled wide of the target, stunning everyone in the ground.

Coalville had created the better chances so it seemed fitting that they grabbed the lead seconds before the interval.

Phillip Watt broke into the area was was felled by keeper White. After the protests had calmed away, Cameron Stewart strode forward and just managed to hit the net.

Boro boss Funk strode to meet referee Matt McGrath on his way from the pitch to make his point and his anger swelled throughout the second half.

After a few moments of the new period, Boro sent on Blott in place of Davie and he made an impact soon after.

That was only following a second yellow card for Boro defender Foot, who was given his marching orders by McGrath.

That might have forced Boro back into their shell, but instead a moment of trademark brilliance from Blott restored parity.

The striker collected a flick and angled a superb lob into the bottom corner, giving Bowles no chance.

The home bench opted to push for the victory, introducing Tyler Collishaw for Hughes, though it was a move that failed to pay dividend.

After failing to convert a good chance created by Blott and Bradshaw, Collishaw then proceeded to commit a clumsy foul in his own box, Stewart smacking the resulting penalty in off the upright.

Things then went from bad to worse as Hempenstall worked his way past some awful defending and Anthony Carney rolled home his cross.

Things failed to improve after that as Coalville saw out the remaining moments is comfortable fashion, sparking a little trace more unrest among the home supporters.