Boro crush Worksop

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic underlined their promotion credentials on Saturday afternoon when they smashed Worksop Parramore 6-0.

Boro bounced back in style from their midweek North Riding Cup exit when they took apart their rivals in slick fashion.

And had it not been for Worksop keeper Steve Hernandez, Boro could have chalked up a cricket score in what was comfortably their best performance of the current campaign.

After an end-to-end beginning to the fixture, Boro soon took control, as Pete Davidson orchestrated the midfield and Tony Hackworth covered every blade of grass in the attacking third.

Davidson was denied by the firm hand of Hernandez and Hackworth struck the top of the bar after a low cross from Ollie Banks.

After scoring four against Boro last time out, Worksop strangely caused little threat, though they did create the odd highlight, as Jordan Hatton drove wide and Lee Holmes brought a save out of Steve Wilson.

Boro were dealt a blow in the build-up to Hatton’s effort, as defender Andy Milne went down, forcing him to be replaced by Matty Plummer.

From then on in, Boro threw the kitchen sink at their rivals, but Hernandez continued to earn his corn with an amazing first half performance that kept the hosts at bay.

He saved brilliantly from Ryan Blott, Davidson and then Banks, with Hackworth also twice going close to making the breakthrough.

Time and time again this season, Boro have been denied by stunning goalkeeping displays, but this game produced a different story, as superb finishing easily put Worksop to bed.

It didn’t take long for Boro to break the deadlock, though it did come from the unlikeliest of sources.

Denny Ingram marauded in from right-back, played a clever one-two with Hackworth and then caressed the ball into the bottom corner from distance.

The goals came thick and fast from then on in, as within two minutes of the opener, Banks smashed in a wicked volley off the post to double the lead.

Hackworth then struck the bar and Hernandez beat away a Blott shot, as Boro maintained their quest for victory.

Boss Rudy Funk then handed a debut to the livewire Henry Sibenge on the left, but it was right-winger Banks who provided the creative spark for Boro’s third.

He drilled in a shot from the edge of the box, which Hernandez failed to hold. Blott stole in and finished well for his customary goal.

Hackworth then fed Davidson in the box and the midfielder turned well and swept home number four.

Sibenge almost marked his first outing in a Boro shirt with a goal, but after dancing past a string of tackles, his shot was saved by the face of the keeper.

Boro did finish the job though, as sub Plummer neatly side-footed Paddy Miller’s corner into the back of the net.

Then David Brown, who arrived on the pitch for Blott, wrapped things up when he drove home Hackworth’s clever cut-back.

The final whistle came as a blessing for Worksop, who prior to the game were seen as title challengers, though their confidence will have taken a huge knock by a rampant Boro.