Boro ease to Brid victory.

Boro news
Boro news

Scarborough Athletic cantered to their second successive friendly success on Saturday afternoon when they beat landlords Bridlington Town 3-2 at Queensgate.

Boro were easily the better side on the day, though they moved their foot off the gas in the closing stages to allow Brid a pair of late goals, giving the result a more competitive feel.

Boss Rudy Funk was pleased overall, though a word or two was spoken about his side’s performance in the dying embers.

“I was very pleased. Every player on the park showed their qualities, things are starting to come together,” said Funk.

“I like the look of the back line, the midfield and I like the front lads, so I don’t think we are doing too bad.

“Because it is a pre-season game we have to try a few younger players and maybe because of that have paid the price for being a little over confident at times.

“The lads have been told about that in the changing room because it isn’t acceptable.”

“Overall though it was a good game and a good test for us against a big and strong Brid side.”

Striker Gary Bradshaw showed his quality to edge Brid out of the way, scoring two goals to open his account for his new club.

Funk added: “Gary’s finishing was just a start from a player with a lot to offer, He has plenty to give this club, though as does Paul Foot, Chris Bolder, Steve Ridley, Pete Davidson and the list goes on.

“It is starting to come together, but you don’t want to make any conclusions as yet.”

The game was soured in the latter stages by a nasty-looking injury to young defender Jamie Arundel, who was taken to hospital with an ankle injury.

The Boro boss said: “Jamie went over on his ankle and he twisted it very badly. He has gone to hospital so we send him our best.

“He is a youngster with plenty of potential who we have brought in from Bradford City. Fortunately he has age on his side so hopefully we’ll see him back here very soon.”

Boro now look to be gathering pace as pre-season rumbles on.

The cobwebs on the opener against Halifax Town are now dusted away, leaving Funk’s men as a unit rather than a disjointed mess.

The first half didn’t offer much goalmouth action, though some intricate Boro moves warmed up the 242 fans on a dull afternoon.

Brid were the first to threaten when Scott Phillips outpaced the Boro back line, Jason White was up to the challenge though, saving smartly.

At the other end a swift link-up between Bradshaw and Bennett presented Bolder with some space, but his goal-bound shot flew to safety off the face of Danny Brunton.

A Brid side, now under the stewardship of Gary Allanson, possibly finished the half the better, though the efforts of Phillips and Craig Hogg failed to wrestle them clear of the deadlock.

Boro started the new period in dramatic fashion. A sweeping move allowed Bradshaw to wriggle free and he clinically lobbed beyond Mark Wilberforce.

Bradshaw then doubled his account from the spot, dusting himself down after a Wayne Aziz challenge in the box to find the corner of the net.

Boro then began to flex their muscles further, Ridley’s sweet volley flew just wide, before the third goal followed.

Sub Ryan Blott weaved his magic on the right and weighted a delightful ball into the path of Henry Sibenge, who poked gleefully home.

A number of changes followed for Boro, adjusting the balance of the previously solid Boro line-up.

Ben Silburn took advantage of this when collecting a quick free-kick and placing the ball beyond Rory Skelton.

Skelton then picked the ball out of the goal for a second time when Frank Belt smashed home a free-kick from the edge of the box.

Boro had enough to hold on though and they could have wrapped things up in the final minutes, but David Brown’s clever finished was ruled out by the flash of a linesman’s flag.