Boro edge past Winterton

editorial image

Scarborough Athletic may have been met by a sensational goalkeeping performance at Winterton on Saturday, but they still did enough to collect the three points with a 1-0 NCEL Premier win.

Winterton stopper Steve Wibberley was in inspired form against a dominant Boro, though he failed to keep out a driven free-kick from Sam Denton that snatched the victory.

That wasn’t Denton’s own contribution to a solid display, as he marshalled the Boro defence in dominant fashion to keep the pacy Winterton attackers at an arm’s length.

Another new face in the side was wide man Ollie Banks, whose trickery on the right gave the home back-line plenty to ponder throughout a freezing afternoon on the banks of the Humber.

Boro bossed the play from the referee’s whistle, though their lively breaks were possibly not matched by the required finishing touch.

James Bennett was a good example of this, as he twice wriggled free in the opening stages, but his tame efforts were comfortably stopped by Wibberley.

The usual predatory instincts of Ryan Blott also seemed to be absent, as after being sent through by Pete Davidson, the striker fired straight at the home keeper.

With the clock approaching the half-hour mark, Boro did take the lead when a free-kick was awarded on the edge of the box for Tom Corcoran’s hand-ball.

After plenty of deliberation about the taker of the kick, Denton stepped up and drilled the ball sweetly into the bottom corner of the net.

There was a rare defensively lapse from Boro in the seconds after the restart, as Scott Matthews found some space, but he seemed to panic when pulling the trigger and the ball sailed wide.

Boro finished the half with goals on their mind, but unfortunatley they failed to materialise, as both Banks and Blott failed to net when well placed.

There was no shift in the pattern of the game when the second half kicked off, as Winterton were forced back under a weight of attacking football.

Had it not been for a combination of sloppy striking and fine goalkeeping then Boro could easily have cruised well clear of their opponents.

Instead though they were forced to endure a frustrating afternoon in front of goal, that could have proved costly when Winterton were finally released from their shackles towards the end.

Davidson should have scored when he jigged through a trio of challenges, but he fired wide when in on Wibberley.

Hackworth was also sent scampering clear on a couple of occasions, his first effort struck the post and he was denied soon after by an excellent saving tackle.

Blott then picked out Banks at the far post, but his half-volley was pushed to safety by Wibberley.

After a quiet afternoon, Boro’s keeper Steve Wilson gave the travelling fans a moment of worry when he failed to hold a corner from the right, fortunately the ball was hacked clear from under the bar.

Boro had done more than enough to seal the points, though their goal difference should have probably had a hefty boost in the process.