Boro end 12-game winless run with shoot-out success at Farsley

After 12 games without a win, Scarborough Athletic finally tasted victory as they made it through to the quarter-finals of the Integro Doodson League Cup with a 5-4 penalty shoot-out victory over Farsley Celtic.

Tuesday, 16th February 2016, 10:17 pm
Updated Tuesday, 16th February 2016, 10:35 pm
Boro report

With the game finishing level at 1-1 after 90 minutes after a pulsating cup tie, penalties were need to decide the winner with Joe Lamplough keeping his cool in sudden death to send Boro through.

For all the nerves towards the end of normal time to keep out the hosts, Boro should have been out of sight before the break.

Boro sprinted out of the blocks and took the lead with less than two minutes on the clock, when a corner fell kindly for Tom Corner to steer in from twelve yards.

With assistant manager Chris Bolder taking the reins in the absence of Steve Kittrick, Boro continued to pile pressure on the hosts, with Ryan Blott curling a sweet effort just over the bar.

Corner nearly added a second midway through the first half with a towering header that cannoned off the crossbar, followed shortly by a shot from the Boro striker that was acrobatically scooped off the line from close range.

As the game went on Farsley edged back into the contest, with Lewis Osborne going close twice to signal the danger the home side posed.

With the pressure building it was no surprise when Farsley were awarded a penalty midway through the second half following a Dean Lisles foul. Lewis Nightingale confidently sent Draper the wrong way to level the scores.

As the game become stretched towards the end Nick Draper saved his side with a terrific low save when Walker found himself unmarked at the back post to slide in a shot.

Both Boro and Farsley were pushing to win it in normal time but it ended level after 90 minutes, leading to the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.

Nick Draper twice saved smartly to dive to his left to palm away spot-kicks from Nightingale and Savory to give Boro a huge advantage, however Jamie Forrester and Ryan Blott both saw chances to win the game saved by Celtic keeper Lofthouse, leading to sudden death.

The crucial moment came when Ross Daly skied his penalty over the back of the stand, leaving Lamplough the task of crashing in to give Boro that winning feeling for the first time since beating Ossett Albion back on December 1.