Boro FA Cup dreams shattered by late Corner strike

Scarborough Athletic
Scarborough Athletic

Scarborough Athletic were dumped out of the FA Cup in dramatic fashion after letting a two-goal lead slip to lose 3-2 to Tadcaster Albion.

A late goal from former Boro striker Tom Corner won it for the Brewers to cap a thrilling comeback after the home side looked down and out at half-time.

Adam and Chris Bolder returned in the middle of midfield for Athletic following the midweek defeat to Clitheroe, with Liam Ormsby starting in place of the injured Jamie Price at right-back and Paul Beesley starting up front with Benny Igiehon serving the first game of a three-match ban.

Boro raced out of the blocks and got off to the perfect start, taking the lead when an Adam Bolder corner was nodded on at the near post for skipper Joe Lamplough to crash in a header after just four minutes.

The chances continued to flow for Kittrick’s men as Carl Stewart was given time and space to steady himself on the edge of the area, but could only fire over the bar against his former side.

Adam Bolder was pulling the strings in midfield for the visitors, coming deep to gather the ball in defence and stretching Tadcaster, with Craig Nelthorpe causing chaos down the left flank.

Corner nearly levelled the scores for the Brewers as he turned in behind the Boro defence, shooting across goal but just rolling the wrong side of the post.

The home side continued to test out the Boro defence with Connor Sellars finding a yard of space in the area to whip a shot goalwards that Jordan Porter did well to parry and gather at the second attempt.

The visitors remained a threat though and made it 2-0 shortly before half-time when Craig Nelthorpe skipped in from the left to arch a low shot into the bottom corner to put Steve Kittrick’s side firmly in control.

Scarborough looked in control at the break and seemingly had one foot in the next round.

But Tadcaster had other ideas and halved the deficit just four minutes into the second half as a loose back header from Joe Lamplough and a hurried headed clearance from goalkeeper Jordan Porter fell to Rob Youhill to deftly chip over the back-pedalling Porter to make it 2-1.

The home side were pushing further forward in search of an equaliser, with Connor Sellars forcing a solid save from Jordan Porter.

Kittrick brought on David Brown, Jamie Forrester and Callum Robinson to provide some fresh legs and to continue to keep an attacking focus.

With just 15 minutes to play, the equaliser arrived from Brewers striker Josh Greening after a free kick across the Boro penalty area skidded through a crowd of players for an unmarked Greening to flick in from close range.

Despite finding themselves pegged back onto level terms, Boro still pushed for a third goal and it took a superb double save from Tadcaster keeper Michael Ingham to block a Robinson effort and an Eddy Birch header to keep his side in the game.

With both sides searching for winner, a nasty injury to Boro defender Liam Ormsby with a suspected broken leg forced Boro to see out the game with just ten men. This turned out to be a key point in the game as shortly afterwards a miscued Josh Greening shot fell kindly for Corner to flick in from six yards out to give the home side a decisive third goal and see them through to the next round.

After being well on top in the first half, the way Kittrick’s side subsided to let Tadcaster back into the game must be a cause for concern, along with an injury list that continues to grow as Boro exited the FA Cup competition for another year.